Amount of SEM Color Coat to buy

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Guys, I need some quick info. Im down to the last few pieces of trim in my interior and everything will be out. Originally I bought 2 quarts of SEM Color Coat. After looking at all of the parts piling up in my garage I changed it to a full gallon. Now Im not even sure I have enough with that. Dash is already done in a darker color. I just have the rest of the plastic and metal to spray.
Anyone on here spray their complete interior ? Will a gallon be enough ? Im not doing a color change, just cleaning up everything so its fresh.

I put this question on a few sites and also on a few FB pages. Ive used SEM quite a few times in the past and this is the first time Im having a hard time judging the amount to buy. The shops doing a custom mix for me so I want to make sure I get enough to do all of it at once.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Mike said:
Guys, I need some quick info. Im down to the last few pieces of trim in my interior and everything will be out. Originally I bought 2 quarts of SEM Color Coat. After looking at all of the parts piling up in my garage I changed it to a full gallon. Now I'm not even sure I have enough with that. Dash is already done in a darker color. I just have the rest of the plastic and metal to spray.
Anyone on here spray their complete interior ? Will a gallon be enough ? I'm not doing a color change, just cleaning up everything so its fresh. I put this question on a few sites and also on a few FB pages. Ive used SEM quite a few times in the past and this is the first time I'm having a hard time judging the amount to buy. The shops doing a custom mix for me so I want to make sure I get enough to do all of it at once.
well,i can't speak for spraying color coat from a gun but what i can speak from is spraying in general.I'm sure you already know this but if your parts are already a dark color you don't need an absorbent amount of color to achieve coverage on the parts.and where you paint interior parts in light coats (avoid high film build,risk filling in the texture and sacrificing paint flexibility etc etc)i looked and a gallon of that covers 120 sq ft.in the past anytime I've had the jobber mix something for me i had them make more than i thought I'd need for touch ups down the road etc just to be sure it'll be a closer match.if they're making a gallon for you now have them make another qt just in case.just my .02

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Thanks for your input. Ive used SEM quite a few times but this is a whole lot of parts ! The 4 door panels, rear cargo panels, A, B, C and D pillars. All the headliner trim, kick panels, tailgate. Cargo floor. Im considering getting another 2 qts on top of the gallon. The main reason is its being custom matched. The interior is Medium Fern Grey. Kinda green, more grey. Everything needs a freshening up and the B pillars are replacements that I got off of CL. Theyre blue.
Ive done a lot of interior parts in the past so I know how to apply it. Im using an HVLP detail gun. When I did the interior of my 81 I did 3 door panels, 2 kick panels, the bottom rear panels and some of the headliner trim and I used almost a full qt. I only had about 1/4" left in the can. Worst case is I have some left for touch ups.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!