I have a 8.5 dif in my Cutlass. I've done a few things to improve it

-Moser ends with c-clip eliminator
-welded tubes to carrier
-true trac posi
-Dutchman 30 spline axles
-ARP gear and carrier bolts
-T/A stud girdle
-Richmond 456 gears.

How much power can I send at this thing before I grenade it?

My car has a Viper T56
I just finished dyno proving that my 632 BBC has 800 hp and 765 ft/lbs torque.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G0DWTiwQ0M

I am currently upgrading suspension components but wondering if this rear end will do.
Any guys out there REALLY punished one of these diffs?

Thanks!! :twisted:

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
Should hold up no problem, You wont have any traction any ways with that much torque and 4.56 gears LOL :D

mean78malibu

Dragway Regular
Mar 15, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA and Philly Area
The posi unit will most likely go before anything else. I'm putting down about 200 less and will use the trans brake next season with the same setup except I have moser 30 spline axles on drag radials. The T56 will be harder on it depending on how you drive : )

Badass442

Daily Driver
Apr 20, 2009
mean78malibu said:
The posi unit will most likely go before anything else. I'm putting down about 200 less and will use the trans brake next season with the same setup except I have moser 30 spline axles on drag radials. The T56 will be harder on it depending on how you drive : )

Yes I was thinking the same thing. I've seen pics of scattered worm gears from truetracs on a mustang site.

Thinking about a spool and 33 spline axles, but this car will be mostly street driven.

The traction issue was bad with my last engine (496) but slicks and a few other improvements should help.

Badass442

Daily Driver
Apr 20, 2009
Come on! Someone out there must have beaten one of these things to death!

Let's hear some stories.....

I'm on the brink of going with a Dana 60........ I really (REALLY) didn't want to spend $$ on another diff :roll:

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
On street tires you'll never break it, especially with what you've done already. And if it's mostly street driven I would leave the TruTrac in, I doubt you'll break that either on the street.

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
I see the transmission grenading before the rearend does.... never seen a t56 hold any torque... don't know if yours is stock or not...

Chris K.

Badass442

Daily Driver
Apr 20, 2009
DFWMalibu said:
I see the transmission grenading before the rearend does.... never seen a t56 hold any torque... don't know if yours is stock or not...

Chris K.

My t 56 is out of a 2003 viper and has had all the upgrades(steel shift fork, solid keys,etc, etc)

I basically wanted to hear from anyone running an 8.5 to the point where they broke it and what it took to do it.I'm sure mine would have survived on the street, but at the track I'm not so sure.

I've already made up my mind to go with a Dana 60. In fact I've already acquired one and am in the process of cutting and prefabbing the ears and brackets. Don't have the $$ for one from Strange. There's a guy locally running one in his Monte. It's a really nice piece of equipment, but cost the better side of 3k all in and I don't have that kind of cash right now.

Plus there's also the cool factor of looking under the car and seeing that massive dif.... 8)
Still want to hear some stories though.......

Jordan81

Pro Stocker
Feb 10, 2004
wichita, ks
i knwo there are guys going solid 8's with them, but whats all in them is beyond me

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
We have a customer who had one when he was running 4.90's in the 1/8 on radials. It was fully built obviously, but it was holding up to that point. Once he was solidly in the 4.90 - 5.00 range, it started tweaking and bending so we put a 9" in then.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!