Need Help Selecting a Front Spring

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
With 2 inch drop Belltech spindles, assembled the front end using 5608 springs that were cut about 2/3 a coil. I'm about 1 inch too low with the 235-60X15's mounted on 7 inch '68 Corvette Rallys rubbing the inter fenders. Tried a pair of 5658 S-10 springs thinking that the increase spring height would solve the problem. The Malibu sat even lower.

My daily driver Malibu is presently deadlined waiting for the right spring. Thinking of either buying a new pair of 5608, this time install them uncut, or getting a pair of 5660's, which have a about 240# more spring rate per inch. Trying to avoid a harsh ride and pick-up the one inch ride height.

Appreciate any recommendations.

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Sounds to me a new set of 5608s should do the trick but as you already well know when you're playing modification games there are no firm answers,you just say by my calculations this should work fine and then go with it,pray and keep your fingers crossed and see what happens,there's one cat on here,Liquid8,I think, used like afco adjustable spring seats for roundy rounders,they have G-chassis specific classes,I've been meaning to look into it but havn't got that far yet,to many other projects here lately,that would be the way to go though,don't like how it sits? Crank the spring buckets!! It would beat the HE double toothpicks out of buying and changing springs!!Let me know how it works out!!KillerDave

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Thanks for the response.

This morning was looking at my daugther's Monte SS with a otherwise stock suspension, except that I hacked the 5608 springs to get the right "look", I measured the top of the fender wheel well opening to the ground and it's at 27 inches, and that measurement will also work for the Malibu.

Was also measuring the free height of the 2/3 coil removed, 5608's and it appears that buying new ones also is not going to solve the problem, as they are still close to the unaltered free height.

Called Bell-Tech and they only know their recommended springs, Moog #'s mean nothing to them. Well the tech guy gives me their recommended coil spring of # 514, The coil wire dia, spring rate and free height are identical to Moog # 5604 which is only #346, (softer than even the stock 5608 spring) and free height of 16.076 inches.

Thanks for your help.

Now plan on going back to the stock spindles and using the 5658's

If someone has some experience using 5658's and know that they won't work with the stock spindles, please chime-in. If that set-up does not work, my alternative is to use the dropped spindles and trade the 5658's for a pair of 5610's that have a greater free height than the 5608's and the same spring rate.

Canadian-T-Bone

Dragway Regular
May 25, 2003
Abbotsford,B.C.
I would say the 5664 unmodified should fix the problem & help firm up the ride a bit . I've run them in both of my cars & really like them . Firm without being harsh .

915a9cdb.jpg

those are 245/40 17 on a 8.5 rim

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Well, thanks for the responses. Canadian, your ride height looks good on your Malibu.

Right now the 5868's are back in along with the stock spindles and see where I'm at once is settles. Might still be too low.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts