Lowered=Rubbing what size tires??? ZQ8's

Apathy93Z

Amateur Racer
May 24, 2003
Loveland, CO
Ok so I lowered my Malibu with eibach springs and installed zq8 16" rims with 245/50-16 tires, everytime I hit the slightest bump the front tires would rub, decided to rebuild the front end ball joints, tie rod ends etc.... used 5662 front springs with S10 lowering spindles, doesn't rub as bad except when hit slight dips at higher speeds railroad tracks etc... not as bad as before but still does it, installed ZQ8 bumpstops just in case, eased a little more but now I think I need to go with a different size tire on the front, anyone else running rims around the same specs? what size tire on the front?
thanks in advance
-Mike

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
I'm running into the same problem with my son's Malibu. I completely rebuilt the front end with all new ball joints, factory spec springs, and 2" drop spindles. Our Malibu has pretty tall tires on the front though, we are running the factory MCSS N90 15" wheels and a 215/70/15 tire which is almost 27" tall! So I was planning on installing 17" wheels and running slightly more backspacing and a shorter tire. I don't know if that is going to stop the rubbing though?? I like the lowered stance, but it is becoming a pain in the butt!

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I think you have more than 1 issue causing your problem. I have lowering springs in my car, running IROC 16x8's with 245/50/16. No rubbing at all. You have lowering springs and lowered spindles. Get on the ground in front of the car and take a look at the lower control arms. If they are not parallel to the ground, but the end closest to the wheel is actually up higher, then it's too far and you'll have issues rubbing. My front end actually sits too high for my liking and I've been trying to figure out how to get another 1" drop out of it....Let us know what you find.

Apathy93Z

Amateur Racer
May 24, 2003
Loveland, CO
oh sorry, no I removed the eibach springs and replaced them with moog 5662 springs and lowering springs, I'm starting to agree with you Phillip I love it lowered but it's starting to seem more of a pita than it's worth, but then if I put it back up to stock then the tires are too small ugh!!!

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Where exaxtly do the tires rub? Wheels straight fender lip? If so you don't have enough back space,are they 8" rims or 7" rims,rubbing on anti-sway bar or on the frame behind the front axle centerline? Depends on where the rub is as to where the problem is,The best I personally have done is a 15"x7" rally wheel with 3.5 back space with 235/60 15 tires on stock spindles and wore out V-8 springs,it sat lower in front than your pic and only rubbed at full lock,I think those tires as like 26" tall and maybe 8 1/2" cross section with your taller wheels and 50 series tires I'd guess about the same outer dimensions,I know it's a pain but you could put the car on stands and pull the front springs,put the tires on it and jack the a-arms up untill you get contact and figure out the problem from there,My 81 in the Avitar pic has 15x6 w/3"bs and 215/65 15" tires and 2" drop spindles,not the biggest tire in the world but you can drop it on the bump stops and turn it lock to lock and it won't rub anywhere,You'll just have to hunt and measure untill you find the problem,one thing is for shure there's not a lot of extra room under the front of a G-Body car,Good Luck!! KillerDave

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!