New Product! 78-88 G-Body Shock and Spring Lowering Kit

UMI Performance

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2005
Bigler, Pa
www.umiperformance.com
Shock and Spring Lowering Kit with Double Adjustable shocks for the 78-88 G-Body
Price: $1,099.99

UMI's lowering package consists of four Viking double adjustable shocks, a hybrid front coil over spring system and either 1 or 2 inch lowering Hotchkis rear springs. With moderately increased spring rates for improved handling, this kit allows you to adjust your cars altitude and attitude for maximum performance and a cool appearance. The hybrid front coil system features 0-3" front drop and is easy to adjust and lock in place. The 1 or 2 inch rear lowering allows you to knock the factory height down a bit or go the extra inch for the Pro-Tour look. Double adjustable Viking shocks feature 19 compression and 19 rebound settings. These independently adjustable settings allow you to change from street to strip to corner carving handling simply by turning the knobs. No tools required.

0-3" lowering range up front, 1 or 2 inch choice for the rear
Lower ride height improves handling by lowering center of gravity
Lower ride height improves handling by placing the upper a-arm in a more favorable angle
Viking features Premium quality Made In USA springs, shot peened and coated for durability
Easy front height adjustment with optional Torrington bearings and wrench
Shocks hand built in Lakeville, Minnesota
Double adjustable features 19 independent compression and rebound settings (for a total of 361 possible combinations)
Tune for street, strip or corner carving at the turn of a knob - no tools required
Baseline shock settings - 6C,8R all around street, 10C,12R all around corner carving, 6C,2R front and 6C,6R rear strip
Bolt in kit, no welding required. And best of all, no spring compressor required up front

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_320&products_id=709

AB4250a_LRG.jpg

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
Do you guys know how these will work with a set of 2" drop spindles?
I already have those installed on my car and am lookinng for a spring option to get the back down some and help the handling some more.
Jess

UMI Performance

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2005
Bigler, Pa
www.umiperformance.com
Hello Jess,

They will work with 2" drop spindles. However they won't allow the car to come up much higher than it is now (in case that is what you wanted) The front kit would allow you to maintain the height you have now or come down up to 2-3" more. I would recommend the 550# springs.

This kit would give you what you need in regards to handling, much better ride and bring the rear end down 2". The shocks are double adjustable which means they have 19 compression adjustments and 19 rebound. You can make changes for street, strip, cruise, handling, drag ect.

If I can help anymore please ask. Thanks!

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
Thanks for the reply, I'll keep these in mind when I have the front end apart again doing brakes. I'd love to get the car down another inch in the front and maybe 2-3" in the back.
Jess

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
This looks like a nice solution for me... too bad it's way out of my current price range. Mine sits about right where I want it, but I'm at my maximum backspacing because of interference with the wheel/steering knuckle (2" spindles). I want to be able to gain a little more backspacing but due to the knuckle (and a-arm, but that's another subject) I can't.

So the lower arms will handle all the forces put at the bottom of the shock? It seems like a lot more force being that it's all in a small area instead of around the spring pocket... I'm just thinking out loud and curious, I don't know if this has ever been a legitimate concern or not in coilover/etc. setups like this.

UMI Performance

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2005
Bigler, Pa
www.umiperformance.com
Doober said:
This looks like a nice solution for me... too bad it's way out of my current price range. Mine sits about right where I want it, but I'm at my maximum backspacing because of interference with the wheel/steering knuckle (2" spindles). I want to be able to gain a little more backspacing but due to the knuckle (and a-arm, but that's another subject) I can't.

So the lower arms will handle all the forces put at the bottom of the shock? It seems like a lot more force being that it's all in a small area instead of around the spring pocket... I'm just thinking out loud and curious, I don't know if this has ever been a legitimate concern or not in coilover/etc. setups like this.

Coil over kits like this have been around for a long time so this is nothing new. QA1, AFCO, Vari-shock and many others use a t-bar design with success. On an aftermarket arm there is no issues, they are beefed up to take the load. I have never seen any issues with a factory a-arm either, however it would never hurt to take caution and weld a support plate or make a plate that helps distribute the load. The Factoty a-arms are 20+ years old now and most are rusting and pitted. But again I have never seen a issue.

I hope that helps,
Ryan

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
That does, thanks :) I probably wouldn't try it on a stock arm without some type of reinforcement, I'm just paranoid I guess. I remember a while back when 10secbu was working on dialing in an older setup with coilovers, he came down hard from a launch and messed up a lower a-arm... I think that was before the TRZ setup though (at least I think that's what he has now).

UMI Performance

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2005
Bigler, Pa
www.umiperformance.com
Doober said:
That does, thanks :) I probably wouldn't try it on a stock arm without some type of reinforcement, I'm just paranoid I guess. I remember a while back when 10secbu was working on dialing in an older setup with coilovers, he came down hard from a launch and messed up a lower a-arm... I think that was before the TRZ setup though (at least I think that's what he has now).

Glad I could help!

And honestly, anytime a car comes down hard I would get worried... even aftermarket a-arms can't always take that!

malibuplotter

Dragway Regular
Apr 11, 2005
layton utah
It says 64-72 a body.. What am I missing here? Also being to lazy to go to the site right now.. Can the front kit be purchased separate? I'm already doin coilovers in the rear, thanks.

UMI Performance

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2005
Bigler, Pa
www.umiperformance.com
malibuplotter said:
It says 64-72 a body.. What am I missing here? Also being to lazy to go to the site right now.. Can the front kit be purchased separate? I'm already doin coilovers in the rear, thanks.

Oops, that was my typo... I corrected it.

Yes we have just the front kit as well, I posted it below... let me know if you have any questions. Thanks!

http://www.umiperformance.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_57_326&products_id=712

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!