Anybody running a manual steering rack on the street?

79buproject

Daily Driver
Oct 30, 2012
Northern Kentucky
Is there anyone out there that has or is running a manual steering rack on the street? I'm curious how it performs? I've been looking at TRZ's rack conversion, but can't make up my mind whether to do it or not. I guess my main reason for wanting to do the conversion is to "clean" up the engine compartment. I'd be glad to listen to all of the pro's and con's to doing this...

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
The turning radius is not that great on mine. I am using the stock type two inch drop spindles. I've read that if you use the trz early Nova/Camaro spindles with trz steering arms the turning radius is much better. But no real issues with mine.

79buproject

Daily Driver
Oct 30, 2012
Northern Kentucky
gman415 said:
The turning radius is not that great on mine. I am using the stock type two inch drop spindles. I've read that if you use the trz early Nova/Camaro spindles with trz steering arms the turning radius is much better. But no real issues with mine.
Could you post pictures of yours? I'm curious to see how much room it clears up. I bought all AirRide Technologies suspension with there tubular upper and lower control arms. I also purchased a set of BellTech drop spindles for this app. Not sure how it's going to work out. I've looked at TRZ's manual rack. It's a lot of work and I just wanted to make sure it was going to work. I haven't talked to them as of yet...

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
I have the TRZ rack in my wagon. The turning radius is not at good as my old s10 manual box, but it's still good for street. I'll try & get some pics

79buproject

Daily Driver
Oct 30, 2012
Northern Kentucky
Grcrygtr44 said:
I have the TRZ rack in my wagon. The turning radius is not at good as my old s10 manual box, but it's still good for street. I'll try & get some pics
Thanks for the info Grcrygtr44. I'd like to see some good pics of the install. How difficult was the job to do?

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
It really wasn't bad at all. I took cues from a build thread on "horsepower tv" they did a Buick wagon build. Search for "project sucker punch" on the internet. You'll find the video clips. I also did some internet searching-found quite a few pics of other ppls installs. I'll try and grab some pics 2mro.

79buproject

Daily Driver
Oct 30, 2012
Northern Kentucky
Grcrygtr44 said:
It really wasn't bad at all. I took cues from a build thread on "horsepower tv" they did a Buick wagon build. Search for "project sucker punch" on the internet. You'll find the video clips. I also did some internet searching-found quite a few pics of other ppls installs. I'll try and grab some pics 2mro.
Sounds good! I appreciate the info....

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
Here's some pics.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 2,737
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 2,705
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,758

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
U can probably see in the first pic, I wacked the frame rails off too since I didn't need them to support steering components anymore. Also the center section under the motor and replaced with chromoly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 2,691

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
If you keep the center section under the motor, you have cut holes in it to route the steering shaft. No big deal, but just something to know.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts