UMI solid rear bar w/Ford 9"?

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Anyone know if UMI's solid rear sway bar fit the early small bearing Ford 9" housing contour without interference? Have done on site searches about the question but posts don't seem to appear or exist anymore?? I assume it will but wanna be sure. I'd prefer the stock mounted bar rather than the drag bar. Pictures would be great. Thanks!

Steve

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
don't know if this helps much but the stock mounted rear bar rubbed my 9" and it was the smaller 3/4'' gm bar.i tig'd up some brackets to make it work but eventually switched to umi's Chassis Mounted, Pro-Tour bar.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
It does. Seems to me that's why I never installed one long ago. I also believe 7/8"?? was the largest offering from GM for these cars. Maybe someone from UMI can chime in later. Thanks melloelky!

Steve

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
it might of been 7/8'' it's been a while since i had that bar.if you dead end your search i think i still have the brackets.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
I know Spohn advertises a picture of their bar under a gbody with a 9" somewhere on the interweb. Alittle more $$ of course. I currently have Spohn DA LCA's that have no provisions for a bar mounting so I'd need to change bars out also.

Steve

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Ordered, received and installed the 1" rear sway bar and LCA arms from Spohn. Not exactly happy with the fit. It bolted right up no problem without interference with the housing. Short of putting two people in the back seat and an even lower ride height, it seems as though it would be okay.

Appearance wise, I'm not very happy. Partly my fault for not knowing and partly their's for not stating a difference. Listing says "nothing" of a centered pinion housing or an off-set housing option. The picture they advertise on their web-site appears to be a centered, or (off-set) housing in a g-body. Does not appear that way in the picture but it must be. Looks good huh. It appears I have a centered pinion housing vs a off-set housing. I bought it from an ex-circle track racer so that would make sense. I never thought of a difference. Anyone know for sure if the stock 7-1/2's were centered pinion or offset housings? I called Spohn and the tech guy says the off-set housing bar is the only option available. Hope I got this right ](*,)

Haven't decided if I'll just let it go or return it. Thought I'd post the differences in case anyone else was thinking of going this route.

Spohn web-site photo of "off-set housing" and their 1" bar (housing is about 2"+ further to the right)
G-Body-Rear-Sway-Bar-Regal-Rear-Sway-Bar-Malibu-Rear-Sway-Bar-2_zpsw0penqqz.jpg

My centered "pinion housing" with a "off-set housing" Spohn bar (housing 2"+ further to the left)
sway%20bar_zpsxophf7n9.jpg

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
that's frustrating,here's an older and the only picture of my anti roll bar.it actually lands behind the housing at ride height.my oe bar was still centered but was against the bottom of the housing.mine is offset as well.

nillabu

Dragway Regular
May 16, 2008
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Wow, nice work and attention to detail! Seems I gotta do things numerous times before I get things right anymore ](*,) Being retired and having more time than I ever had before you'd think things would be the opposite. I have brake line tabs welded to the housing at about the same area your clamps are. Not sure how that would work for me. Looks like there's alittle wiggle room on the bar for the bushing though. Can I ask which brand that bar is? Looks great!! Plan to pass the car on to my son soon so maybe let him decide. Thanks

Steve

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
thanks,it looks a lot better than that now but that's the only pic i have on my pc.i'll snap a ride height pic this weekend if need be,that's umi's Pro-Tour bar.and yes there's a little side to side.i think we've all been there doing things more than once to get it rite,i know i have.
your son's a lucky guy.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!