trick spring install

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
to those of you who have installed trick front springs on your cars...what did you use to compress them? i'm considering just having them banded and be done...but if i can save some money and SAFELY do this with a spring compressor, then i'd consider it.

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
I ran the bolt of the spring compressor through the shock hole and just used the bottom of my spring compressor to bring the bottom of the spring up in the pocket and then jacked the lower control arm into place then connected the balljoints and loosened the compressor...

Chris K.

Malibuwagon80

Dragway Regular
Aug 8, 2007
North Jersey
I did trick springs on a friends car a few times this past Summer. Used a spring compressor and you just gotta be careful, make sure you have the spring in the pocket and keep an eye on the compressor and don't force anything!!

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
DFWMalibu said:
I ran the bolt of the spring compressor through the shock hole and just used the bottom of my spring compressor to bring the bottom of the spring up in the pocket and then jacked the lower control arm into place then connected the balljoints and loosened the compressor...

Chris K.

thanks a lot for this info!! this is exactly what i had hoped to be able to do. seems like it would be the safest way to go about this with a compressor. now i just have to get motivated enough to start doing this!

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
no problem I have done three sets of gbody springs this way...

Chris K.

BBCmonteLS

Daily Driver
Jul 28, 2009
i cut the ole ones wrapped a chain around them. and jacked up the car, be careful dont want it flying out at you. to compress the trick springs i just used a compressed on them as far as it would go and still safe... then slid them into place.. the claws go on the bottom and top and the shaft in between the springs... slid right in and untightened them and fit right now. they are huge springs(long)

grizwald

Top Fueler
Feb 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
the ones i got are 16.25" tall. doesn't seem too long...but i don't have the stock ones out to see how tall they are yet. if all goes well, i'll get them done this week.

DFWMalibu

Dragway Regular
Dec 15, 2006
Dallas,Tx
09-17-08_1926.jpg

this is the difference between a v6 and a 47130 212lb trick spring..

Chris K.

chop57

Frequent Racer
Oct 26, 2008
g-town mass
DFWMalibu said:

Chris K.

x2 same here, except I had to pry the bottom of the spring into pocket, they are tall springs but dont be intimidated by them ;)

racecar77

Pro Stocker
Aug 11, 2007
Crete,IL
I do it the same way DFW Malibu does it. Just remember, there is no safe way to do this. I always use a safety strap or chain from the spring to the frame in case it flies out it can't go far. Watch your hands and your head.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!