replacing 200 trans with 200r4?

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
You`ll need this cross member and frame extension,http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-770303/ . Doug

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
I am considering swapping in a 200 r4 in place of my th200 in my '80 malibu...I know I'll need a new crossmember, but my ? is, will I need a different computer to control the shifts and the lock up converter?

madmaxx57

Amateur Racer
Oct 5, 2010
DURAND IL
i have a few 200r4's one computer controlled in my wagon with tpi..just like stock for lockup...one in my 69 camaro no computer..that one has a nonlockup converter and the trans was built accordingly (for non lockup)..the shifts are controlled off the tv cable..that why its important to get it set right...my wagon has lockup but it also has a aftermarket wiring harness, but hooked up like stock tpi car with 200r4..my 700r4 we use a vacuum switch for lockup...all you need is power for lockup converter but i would not hook up a toggle switch to do so incase of a panic stop..the converter will stay lockedup until you switch it off..doesnt help stop you...in my camaro i dont miss the lockup...3:42 gear i think 55 is like 1800 rpms..i would def. put in a 200r4, o.d. is nice and nice gear spread..i like mine!! hope that helps

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
that does help, madmaxx...I found a wiring kit at Summit by TCI made to install the 2004r or 700r4's in non ECM cars I'll probably use, so I can use a lock up converter. I still can't get the 200 metric in it now to shift right since changing the rear gear and the carb, been adjusting the tv cable and still can't seem to get it right. thinking it might still be in that, changed fluid and filter and added lube gard, still doesn't want to downshift. time to start looking for the od transmission!

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
The factory runs the 12V+ thru the Brake Light switch to Pin-A on the Trans connector. When the Brake pedal is depressed it cuts power to the TCC/TorqueConverterClutch Lockup Solenoid. This prevents Engine chugging & braking/stopping difficulty.
The Vacuum switch is used to prevent TCC lockup except at light/partial Throttle when Engine vacuum is high. This prevents damage to the TCC.
ECM to Pin-D &/or 4th Pressure switch can supply the -Ground.
Toggle switch comes in handy for in town driving when Lockup can become annoying especially if the Vacuum switch isn't matched to the Engine's vacuum signal. It's best to use an adjustable Vacuum switch so you can fine tune the Lockup point to a certain Throttle opening position to prevent frequent TCC cycling.
Simple diagram>> http://www.hughesperformance.com/pdfs/HP700-R4.pdf
Pin-D & B can be looped/connected for -Ground.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
purecrazy said:
that does help, madmaxx...I found a wiring kit at Summit by TCI made to install the 2004r or 700r4's in non ECM cars I'll probably use, so I can use a lock up converter. I still can't get the 200 metric in it now to shift right since changing the rear gear and the carb, been adjusting the tv cable and still can't seem to get it right. thinking it might still be in that, changed fluid and filter and added lube gard, still doesn't want to downshift. time to start looking for the od transmission!

Changing the Rear gear throws off the Governor & Valvebody's calibration by increasing/decreasing the Tran's Output Shaft speed which affects shift timing. Modifying the Governor weights, VBody shift valve springs etc.. may be needed.
If you're using an Aftermarket Carb> Holley, Edelbrock, Demon they require a TV Geometry Corrector Bracket on the Throttle linkage. This corrects the Line Pressure rise to prevent Trans clutch damage and incorrect up/down shifts.

purecrazy

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2010
SSedan64 said:
purecrazy said:

Changing the Rear gear throws off the Governor & Valvebody's calibration by increasing/decreasing the Tran's Output Shaft speed which affects shift timing. Modifying the Governor weights, VBody shift valve springs etc.. may be needed.
If you're using an Aftermarket Carb> Holley, Edelbrock, Demon they require a TV Geometry Corrector Bracket on the Throttle linkage. This corrects the Line Pressure rise to prevent Trans clutch damage and incorrect up/down shifts.

we have had to modify the bracket on the throttle linkage, the tv cable was catching on it...but no matter how much adjusting, it still won't shift correctly, like something in the valve body is sticking. It is very inconsistent, soometimes it does shift ok at low rpm's, but not always...sometimes at higher rpm's also, but mostly it doesn't want to downshift to first. I'm tired of messing with it, but with the new eldy carb, could I still run into the same problem with the od transmission? if my problem is with the tv cable?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!