not a "a/g' body but any help would be appreciated....

SEVNT 9

Dragway Regular
My buddy bought a 81 z28 quite a few years back. its a 383 (supposedly), 4 speed stick, posi rear end. It was maroon but has been painted a metallic blue with silver ghost flames (never painted underside of trunk but did do doorjams). It has a gear driven cam, and a tall air catcher with the 3 red butterflys coming out of the hood making it look and sound as if it has a supercharger.

l.jpg

any who the car has this weird shifter on it that only goes back and forth (not side to side like most common stick shifts) with a separate lever for reverse its a little bit complicated to even shift....He was asking my advice on it as he plans on putting a little bit of money into it (also when you shift your knuckles hit the dash kind of a crappy set up). My first thoughts were to get rid of the shifter and install a regular shifter with a bend in the handle to put the ball more comfortable in reach and to keep from smashing his shifting hand.

but here is the kicker I heard from another guy (more of an acquaintance) that his trans must be a Muncie M22 rock crusher because that trans has that type of shifter....I looked all over the internet/google and couldn't find any info on this type of shifter or truth to that fact can any one give me any insight??

Brown_Gbody

Top Fueler
Feb 17, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
The only thing I can think of is some trucks had a 1-2-4-3 shift pattern. So, you would go from 2nd, and move over to 3rd, and then up to 4th.

Sorry I ain't much help in this area

SEVNT 9

Dragway Regular
after spending almost an hour on google I found out the name of his shifter is called a "ram rod" by hurst. But still can't tell if that means he has a muncie or saginaw or t-10 or St-10?? guess I'll just have to crawl underneath one day and look for some identifying marks.

84060IMG_0037-large.JPG

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
That car would have come from GM with a Borg Warner Super T10. Even stock you'd hit your knuckles making the 2-3 shift...

Tommy

SEVNT 9

Dragway Regular
Thanks for the info Tommy....not sure if the car has that in it or not, but would be nice to have shifter that doesn't crush your hand between it and the dash...seems as if people love that Ram rod shifter from what I was reading on forums....questions is should we replace it?? leave it?? would a Muncie even fit into that car??

80malibucoup

Frequent Racer
Feb 8, 2011
Jonesboro,Ga
I've seen those in a lot of strip cars,never in a street car. Those car never have a full dash, now I know why. I would hate to kill my knuckels too.

swapmeetjunkbu

Amateur Racer
Nov 9, 2008
N. Iowa
I have used the Ram Rod shifter. I prefer and use the Mr Gasket/Hurst Verti Gate shifter. Both shifters normally installed don't hit the dash. With the correct application installation kit the shifter is mounted high and to the rear of the trans. Need to cut a large hole into the tunnel. The shifters have a very short throw when adjusted properly and almost impossible to miss a shift. Using the Verti Gate... pull up on the trigger and push forward for 1st. Pull back for 2nd, push forward for 3rd and pull back for 4th. Down shift... push forward from 4th to 3rd, lift trigger and pull back for 2nd, then lift trigger and push forward for 1st again. Put into neutral and move the short lever for reverse. Easy when you get used to it.There is an awesome fun facter but can get old on the street... Especially when parking. I now use the Hurst Super Shifter 3 for street/strip because the verti gates are getting rare and expensive. I have a mint condition Mr Gasket Verti Gate with NOS boot mounted to a fresh rebuilt M-20 for a future special project.

SEVNT 9

Dragway Regular
here you can see the crappy location of the shifter vs dash.

IMG_20120225_211212.jpg

swapmeetjunkbu

Amateur Racer
Nov 9, 2008
N. Iowa
Wow... That is close. I remember driving 4 speed second generation camaros and like LS6 Tommy said the stock shifters were close to the dash... but not that close. I would suggest that he get a nice short throw shifter to enjoy. Keep the ram rod for the man cave or sell it for quick cash.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!