major muncie issue

mebe007

Amateur Racer
Oct 16, 2009
Eastern Virginia
Ok so I s just about to put the motor in the car today and tada another problem when bolting the trans to the bell. The upper left ear broke off my muncie. Looks like it was already cracked but paint covers things. So what to do. Have it welded, new case, super case, super case iron mid plate and super tail or what?

IMAG0236-1.jpg

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
It can be welded but you'll need to gut the trans as Aluminum transfers heat to the extreem,it should also be bolted to a steel bellhousing or steel plate to make shure the mating surface is flat after welding,But a Super Case is deffinatly the way to go! I'd have one if I could afford it!! Good Luck! KillerDave

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
It'll cost mor than the welding job, but I'd get a Supercase.

Tommy

mebe007

Amateur Racer
Oct 16, 2009
Eastern Virginia
im leaning on the super case. is in otice they sell the super tail, super case and iron midplate. should i do all 3 or just the case or say the case and midplate.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Can't hurt to go all in...

Tommy

mebe007

Amateur Racer
Oct 16, 2009
Eastern Virginia
yeah im leaning on it. Its alot of money for sure. Anything special i need to do the job? the trans has new synchros in it already and looks to be in good shape. i see the super case comes with front bearing. I believe the super tale comes with a new pushing and seal in it. Other than that what all would i need mid plate bearing, gasket set, anything else special?

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I dunno. I'm trading in my numbers correct 69 SS396 Chevelle Muncie for a complete new AGE unit from Ed Hartnett's 4 speeds in PA.

Ed Hartnett's 4 Speeds
242 Pembroke Avenue
Lansdowne, PA 19050

(610) 623-9381

Tommy

mebe007

Amateur Racer
Oct 16, 2009
Eastern Virginia
ok so i just got off the phone with Paul Cangialosi a little while ago over at metradonics otherwise known as 5speeds.com and what a great guy to deal with and such a wealth of knowledge. after sending him pics of what i am dealing with i do believe i know how i am going to spend my money. we talked quite a bit about what is necessary for my application as well as what will prolong the life of my transmission a little bit. so it will be getting a full rebuild with torque lock sliders and of course brand new syncros and new shift forks. it will also be getting the super case and iron midplate. will be going with a drilled and tapped counter shaft and the midplate will be drilled for the countershaft. this will allow the countershaft to bolt through the midplate and add strength as well as stopping any forward movement of the countershaft. I will be ordering his book to aid me through the rebuild and will be getting his dvd as well just for back up. we also talked about the super tail and the rollerized side cover . he said i did not need the tail as it was mainly designed so he could build a completely new muncie without sourcing old muncie parts. he did say the one benefit one would see would be in a road race scenario with a 32 spline output shaft. he said the extension housing is thinner with the 32 spline and the super tail is thicker in this area, which again is not necessary for my app and to save my money to put elsewhere. he also stated he was not a fan of the roller side covers because the bearing is something else to fail, if its not broke dont fix it. again he said designed to be able to build an all new muncie from scratch. so theres my plan lol lets see if i can stick to it. :lol: shouldnt be a problem. i also plan to try and document the rebuild process. also something cool i heard uh oh did someone say 5 speed muncie in the works. should be really cool for those looking to go that route. keep an eye out on his site for this thing in the future.

swapmeetjunkbu

Amateur Racer
Nov 9, 2008
N. Iowa
Super case items are the way to go. I tried to save a few bucks buying a used muncie case one time and ended up with junk. I ended up buying a super case anyway. Paul is a great guy to work with. I got his video and book combo quite awhile ago and it makes the job pretty easy. I have purchased parts from 5speeds.com and have purchased alot of parts from The Gear Box. I pick up used muncie tail shaft housings when I find them cheap for a stash. A couple of examples are I have worked on tail housings where the reverse arm shaft taper pin has been installed backwards and driven in by mistake. Not easy to get out then without breakage. NOTE: iron midplate locating pin to the Muncie tail housing is a very tight fit on everyone that I have used and I suggest test fitting and enlarging the locating pin hole slightly if needed. I found out the hard way. Good luck with your build and enjoy. It feels good banging gears on a Muncie that you built yourself.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!