PLEASE READ: Malibu Racing Lives!!

Lost drivehsaft at speed, damage ensued.............

Questions, answers, help, tips and tech on transmissions.

Moderator: Moderators

383S10
Frequent Racer

Lost drivehsaft at speed, damage ensued.............

Post by 383S10 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:58 pm

A few weeks ago coming a cruise in I threw my driveshaft on the highway playing around.......a group of various cars behind my headed me locked it down when trans fluid spilled out........what I want to know from others who had this happen how much damage occurred to your tranny? Here is some pics from todays inspection.............broke the tailshaft all the way but the mount stayed intact and the iceman xmember held but the Energy Suspension tailshaft mount was the weakest part which I believed flexed..........
406 sbc, serpentine belt system, 700R4/2500 stall, 3.73 non posi(3.73 posi chunk & 4.10 gears on the bench), 2.5 exhaust, B&M Magnum grip shifter, installed new headliner, and Weld wheels.
Future upgrades:
GN backseat X-brace, optima battery holder(got optima battery), Mark VIII fan upgrade, carpet, console, all leather Buick LeSabre interior, stereo, and new gauge insert w/gauges.

Doober

Re: Lost drivehsaft at speed, damage ensued.............

Post by Doober » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:53 pm

Ouch! Did a u-joint seize? If that happened it could have caused major vibration in a short time frame.
MR.com Facebook page
'92 Sierra - EBL/TBI-fed Vortec 383/700R4/3.08
'87 Fiero GT - 2.8/5-speed
'78 Malibu - Vortec 350/4-speed (for now)

383S10
Frequent Racer

Post by 383S10 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:25 am

The rear u joint caps are gone......the drive shaft rolls across the garage floor smooth.....we were thinking the u joint clamp came loose and beat up the same clamp until loose at that high speed which all happened in less than a minute.....Energy suspension trans mount says Im supposes to have their engine mounts also for 3 way use.....never heard that before.....I had factory motor mounts......about 2.5 years on this set up......
406 sbc, serpentine belt system, 700R4/2500 stall, 3.73 non posi(3.73 posi chunk & 4.10 gears on the bench), 2.5 exhaust, B&M Magnum grip shifter, installed new headliner, and Weld wheels.
Future upgrades:
GN backseat X-brace, optima battery holder(got optima battery), Mark VIII fan upgrade, carpet, console, all leather Buick LeSabre interior, stereo, and new gauge insert w/gauges.

SSedan64
Dragway Regular

Post by SSedan64 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:32 am

Sounds like a load of BS from Energy.
Are you sure the DS Yoke engaged the Trans Output Shaft splines deep enough?
I saw where you used the Caprice Tailhousing on the Vette Trans.

Brown_Gbody
Top Fueler

Post by Brown_Gbody » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:19 am

383S10 wrote:The rear u joint caps are gone......the drive shaft rolls across the garage floor smooth.....

I would save yourself some potential trouble down the road and take the drive shaft to a shop and make sure.. I went through a similar thing years ago, thought the drive shaft was OK, but after getting the car back together, it really vibrated at speed.... Had it balanced, and all was well......

.02 :)

HP JUNKEY
Dragway Regular

Post by HP JUNKEY » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:23 am

OUCH!!,,, I have a Energy Sus. trans mount and factory rubber motor mounts on my Bu, about 8 yrs. on them with no trouble, BS from Energy, After that carnage ,,,, I would def. take your shaft and get her re-balanced!
7.70's in the 1/8th, 12.20's in the 1/4!
Full interior, Street driven Chrome bumpered
Iron Headed 355 SBC

80 Malibu355 TH350 3800 stall 4.11's Street-Drag
71 Chevelle 396 SOLD
84 Cutlass, #1 Sons ride, finally 327 powered!
2010 Black on Black HHR,,Family Wagooon!
99 Hoe 4x4
99 Z71 Extend-O Cab #2 sons ride
99 Hoe 2WD Texas truck #1 sons ride
http://photobucket.com/HPJUNKEY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doober

Post by Doober » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:46 am

I don't know how strong your Iceman support is, but I have a stock notched crossmember and I can shake the tailshaft of the trans up & down like crazy, it's like the crossmember is a flimsy piece of sheetmetal. I'm thinking of adding some gussets on the front/rear of the crossmember (means I'll have to paint it again :x) to help stop this flex... I didn't realize it was there until we put everything back in this time around.
MR.com Facebook page
'92 Sierra - EBL/TBI-fed Vortec 383/700R4/3.08
'87 Fiero GT - 2.8/5-speed
'78 Malibu - Vortec 350/4-speed (for now)

383S10
Frequent Racer

Post by 383S10 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:16 pm

SSedan64 wrote:Sounds like a load of BS from Energy.
Are you sure the DS Yoke engaged the Trans Output Shaft splines deep enough?
I saw where you used the Caprice Tailhousing on the Vette Trans.

Yes that piece is the same length 6" and the it engages fully.....the 700r4 in that year (1988) is the same they just made different tailpieces to cover the cars it was installed in Corvette, Camaro, and Caprices(9C1, police package).....

Energy Suspension says it and but I have been told by a few forum guys over at Gbodyforum.com..... :-k

Brown_Gbody wrote:
383S10 wrote:The rear u joint caps are gone......the drive shaft rolls across the garage floor smooth.....

I would save yourself some potential trouble down the road and take the drive shaft to a shop and make sure.. I went through a similar thing years ago, thought the drive shaft was OK, but after getting the car back together, it really vibrated at speed.... Had it balanced, and all was well......

.02 :)

True.....thats a given....but I was merely answering a question posed....the plan is to let my local driveshaft shop check it and remake it if need be....but the roll test on the garage floor was for my immediate damage accessment......and it was retrieved by a guy in a CJ about 250 yards behind where I pulled over........
he went back and got it for me =D>

HP JUNKEY wrote:OUCH!!,,, I have a Energy Sus. trans mount and factory rubber motor mounts on my Bu, about 8 yrs. on them with no trouble, BS from Energy, After that carnage ,,,, I would def. take your shaft and get her re-balanced!

HP Junkey.....your cred goes along way with me because Ive seen how you use your Malibu.....like I said the driveshaft will be rechecked then rebuilt if needed.....

Doober wrote:I don't know how strong your Iceman support is, but I have a stock notched crossmember and I can shake the tailshaft of the trans up & down like crazy, it's like the crossmember is a flimsy piece of sheetmetal. I'm thinking of adding some gussets on the front/rear of the crossmember (means I'll have to paint it again :x) to help stop this flex... I didn't realize it was there until we put everything back in this time around.

and Doobs....the one I have is a pre cease and desist Iceman xmember before G-force got after him which I had powder coated......that thing is solid probably one of the best things I ever bought for my car and everytime its on a rack people tell me its serious piece but they thinks its a G-force......the piece is so rigid that I was worried it put a slight up flex on the trans and it is something I need to check and rule out before I drive it again........

Guys I truly appreciate all the input and thats the very reason I asked.... yall and this site has been a guiding light in the building of my car.....the welath of knowledge and various view points covers all issues that need to be addressed thus saving me time.....now money thats another subject I kinda splurge from time to time.... dancin_banana.gif .......laterz...............
Future upgrades:

lilbowtie
Pro Stocker

Post by lilbowtie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:27 pm

It kinda looks you might have had a cracked tail shaft earlier with the sealent you used. Anyway check your bellhousing area for cracks, I've broke 2. I would also do some reading on driveshaft critical RPM, Precision Shaft Tech has a nice reference chart. This bit me once also. Hope all you need is a new tailshaft housing. Nice car - would like to know how that interior goes.
Attachments
IMG_4130.JPG

Pete@Hughes
MalibuRacing Authorized Advertiser

Post by Pete@Hughes » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:34 am

I would strongly advise that you disassemble the transmission and check the output shaft to make sure it isn't bent. It's also possible to damage the rear planetary carrier when a driveshaft fails.
Pete Nichols
Sales Manager / Tech Support
800-274-7223, ext. 209
602-889-3621
pete_n@hughesperformance.com
http://www.hughesperformance.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

383S10
Frequent Racer

Post by 383S10 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:17 pm

lilbowtie wrote:It kinda looks you might have had a cracked tail shaft earlier with the sealent you used. Anyway check your bellhousing area for cracks, I've broke 2. I would also do some reading on driveshaft critical RPM, Precision Shaft Tech has a nice reference chart. This bit me once also. Hope all you need is a new tailshaft housing. Nice car - would like to know how that interior goes.

That sealent is where tailhousing and trans case comes together.....I had a drip there after replacing the rubber seal......just a drip at the bottom the sealent was spread on the outside not in joint...........

LOL I need to update that signature.....the interior was completed back in May 2011 before I went on the Hot Rod Power Tour........
Future upgrades:

gman415
Dragway Regular

Post by gman415 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:25 am

Mariah Carey......Really?

Sorry for the mishap, interior looks good.
Tim

< Worlds slowest 7.00 car!!!!!!!

383S10
Frequent Racer

Post by 383S10 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:27 pm

gman415 wrote:Mariah Carey......Really?

Sorry for the mishap, interior looks good.

Lol............I had just got it and was loading up the channels........everytime I post that photo I catch heck for it......it funny to me.......
Future upgrades:

lilbowtie
Pro Stocker

Post by lilbowtie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:00 am

Interior looks great, was there much fab work or a basic bolt-in??

383S10
Frequent Racer

Post by 383S10 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:02 pm

I scored these seats from a Pull-a-Part for $50 for the front and rears...I bought a grey set and a black set to install. I used SEM paint to dye paint the seats. If you use them out of a 91-93 LeSabre the front holes line up perfectly the back only one will line up and the other you will have to enlarge the hole some to get it to set flush. You can experiment with your present seat brackets to see if the will swap over to the new seats and bolt in......I ve seen that happen with other g-body seat swaps. If you want a bucket seat style seat up you have to use two passenger seats with a console or you can just use it as a bench seat. Here is some pics of the painting, console build, and the install of the seats....I added a new headliner and carpet also......

Check out these links to see the guy who inspired me to do this........

http://rides.webshots.com/album/155414205PmrdRn
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/55 ... R?start=48
http://rides.webshots.com/album/2167471 ... X?start=12
Future upgrades: