TH400 question:

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
I just recently put a 400 in my car and I've got a question regarding the solenoid on the side of the casing that's for the kick down. I have a ratchet shifter and I always manually down shift, is it 100% nessecary for me to hook this up, and if so, what would I hook it up to on a FI engine? I'm sure it used to go to something on a carburetor linkage or some sort of switch that worked off the throttle.

shvrolay

Dragway Regular
Here's one on the gas pedal arm (not mine - lifted from the 'net):

IMG_0296.jpg

........same set up I'm using. I'm not sure what is up with that piece of fuel line on the switch's arm??

You do not have to connect the kickdown solenoid for proper transmission function. With it disconnected the transmission may not downshift automatically to provide passing gear at speed, but you may simply manually downshift the transmission if necessary. The transmission will still automatically downshift at low speeds (typically below 40 MPH).

The kickdown solenoid was originally connected to a rheostat built in to the accelerator pedal assembly on original GM TH400 applications. B&M and Lokar both offer aftermarket kickdown switch kits that can be made to work with just about any carb or EFI arrangement.

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
^ Thank you sir, very good info.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!