4 speed clutch adjustment help

toyodajeff

Daily Driver
May 21, 2012
Canton, GA
Ive been trying to put a 4 speed saginaw in my el camino and have a few questions
Is a clutch pedal stop nessesary?
Does the clutch rod to the clutch pedal go in the top or bottom hole in the pedal?
Is there an easy way to tell when the clutch is fully engaged or fully disengaged.

Ive got most of the stuff bolted in but my clutch pedal is really high

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
toyodajeff said:
Ive been trying to put a 4 speed saginaw in my el camino and have a few questions
Is a clutch pedal stop nessesary?
Does the clutch rod to the clutch pedal go in the top or bottom hole in the pedal?
Is there an easy way to tell when the clutch is fully engaged or fully disengaged.

Ive got most of the stuff bolted in but my clutch pedal is really high

Yes, the clutch pedal stop is required.

The upper pushrod goes in the lower hole on the clutch pedal. The upper hole is for the neutral safety switch.

The clutch pedal will a little higher than the brake pedal, with power brakes. The pedal will rest on the stop. Be sure to install an anti-rattle spring on the fork to push the pedal up against the stop and prevent the linkage from rattling while driving. You should have approximately 1 inch of free play (measured at the pedal pad) when adjusted correctly.

toyodajeff

Daily Driver
May 21, 2012
Canton, GA
The linkage that goes from the zbar to the for seems way to long and the only way to get it in is to have the pedal at the bottom of the dash. Anyone have any tips to help me out. I might try adding some holes to my z bar to bring the pedal down. But i might have something installed wrong

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Don't add holes and move the linkage, or you will change the geometry.

Let's begin with the basics...
  • What parts are you using?
    Are the parts new or used?
    Has the bellcrank been rewelded?
    What fork and bellhousing are you using?

The lower pushrod is adjustable, and should have a wide range of adjustment.

Pictures are also worth 1000 words; do you have any to show your issue?

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I know mine bolted in just fine... I also adjusted mine to have up to 1", the rod I'm using is at the very end of its adjustment though, so I'll need to get a new one.

toyodajeff

Daily Driver
May 21, 2012
Canton, GA
I have the pedals, zbar, and fork new aftermarket for a gbody i believe there from the parts place inc and a the gbody bellhousing. I made a clutch pedal stop but before i put it on i.had every thing bolted in. The pedal was about to hit the dash and the rod from the zbar to the fork was adjusted all the way in. I appreciate the help you guys. Ill try to get some pics up tommarow

toyodajeff

Daily Driver
May 21, 2012
Canton, GA
Is it possible to get a shorter lower pushrod thats about 2 inches long. I lookedon summit and jegs and didnt see anything

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
It is difficult to diagnose without pictures. The lower pushrod should be longer than 2 inches.

The upper pushrod should fit into the lower hole in the clutch pedal. The lower pushrod should fit into the lower hole in the bellcrank arm.

toyodajeff

Daily Driver
May 21, 2012
Canton, GA
Well i got it all together i welded a steel plate with several holes onto my z bar. The way i did it the geometry should be pretty close to the same for the lingkages the clutch seems to work right. Sorry but im having a hard time posting pics from my phone but thanks for the help.

Jayz79

Amateur Racer
Sep 17, 2010
algonquin,IL
I got my 4 speed parts from the parts place in Elburn.. At first I had some weird issues like you describe, they gave me the clutch rod (from pedal to z-bar) from an A body chevelle, After returning, they found the right piece.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!