Best clutch for Richmond 5 speed.

Nitrousbu78

Daily Driver
Nov 12, 2013
So after driving my a buddies ws6 trans am and a buddy's cobra I decided I needed a stick in my Malibu. Bought a Richmond 5 speed, Lakewood Sfi bellhousing, clutch fork, stock bbc flywheel. I also bought a "sachs" clutch (I think that's what the brand is but not sure) it's a 10" clutch and from what the guy told me it's pretty much a stock replacement clutch. I'm just worried about it scattering on me..So I was just wondering what would be the best clutch for my application.
The car is a 1978 Malibu with a 454 big block chevy ls6 bottom end, oval port heads, isky cam, GM performance roller rockers, weiand intake and a Briggs tuned Holley 950. I got everything in the car motor, trans, pedals everything. I'm going to run it how it is for now to break the engine and trans in.
I'm only 20 and kind of new to the stick world.
Thanks!

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Sachs was a good name a while back. I don't have any experience with them recently. You can't go wrong with a RAM. Call them with your complete combo & they'll point you in the right direction. Just got my Force 10.5 street dual disc from them. Nice stuff!

Tommy

Last edited by a moderator:

Nitrousbu78

Daily Driver
Nov 12, 2013
7d8ss said:
Centerforce dual friction for me. Good street - strip clutch.

I've heard a lot of good things about centerforce, I race the car on the street more than the track so I'm looking for something that's going to grab nice on the street. Ill definetly look more into centerforce. Thanks!

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
The only thing negative I will say about a Centerforce (or any centifugally assisted clutch) is they sometimes have problems with the free play closing up at higher RPM on hydraulic clutches. (The centifugal assist really doesn't do much below 6500 RPM anyway, it's mostly marketing). The Dual Friction units are notorious for vibration & balance issues. Some guys clip the ring & toss the weights.

Tommy

7d8ss

Amateur Racer
Jan 29, 2005
Lexington, Ohio
Have never had ANY of those issues. I do run a manual clutch. Not being an expert, I can't speak for the hydraulic. I can say that I used up a stock replacement clutch in one season & have had the Center force in for 4 seasons without issue. I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
7d8ss said:
Have never had ANY of those issues. I do run a manual clutch. Not being an expert, I can't speak for the hydraulic. I can say that I used up a stock replacement clutch in one season & have had the Center force in for 4 seasons without issue. I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones.

I'm sorry, I wasn't real clear when I posted. I didn't mean to imply they were no good, just that if there were any complaints or issues, the ones I listed were the most common.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!