TH350 won't go forward. Help?

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
I have a 79 malibu with a crate 350 and a TH350. It will go in reverse, but not any forward gear..??... The fluid is full with the engine idling and HOT, but it will not even try to engage 1,2, or D...? Vacuum modulator line is hooked to passenger's side of manifold vacuum on Carter 625 AFB carb. Manifold vacuum port on intake is blocked off.. Should I find a fitting and hook the modulator to the direct manifold vacuum port? Or is that even my problem? I haven't tried applying the brakes and revving the engine in 1,2 or D to see if it is a torque converter issue yet, wanted to check with you guys first. This site has been very helpful so far, and I am having a blast with my 16yr old son learning about the innards of cars... We finally got it started, now it just needs to move forward!! Any ideas you have would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance for the help!

Has this transmission had any work performed to it recently... possibly a shift kit installed or a valve body swapped out? If so there's a good chance that the internal linkage did not get installed correctly during reassembly and even though you're moving the shifter, you're not actually moving the manual valve inside the valve body. If this is the case then it's a pretty simple fix that involves dropping the transmission pan and correcting the internal linkage.

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
Thanks for the reply! I don't have any history regarding work being done to the transmission, unfortunately... When the column shift is being moved, the linkage rubs (pretty hard) against the header when locking into reverse. Then it does move to N, but the arm attached to the linkage on the transmission barely moves..? After messing with it, there appears to be an issue with the external linkage and how it is (or isn't) moving the internal manual valve you are talking about.

How can I remedy this? Can I bend the rod a bit that is hitting the header to solve the rubbing issue? And how do I solve a sloppy external linkage? As you can probably tell I have yet to actually "drive" this car yet. We just got it starting and running smooth with help from the folks here on the forum. If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks,
Andy

jsiler

Dragway Regular
Nov 6, 2009
Dayton, OH
If it starts then try putting it on a lift or jack stands and remove the column linkage from the transmission and start it.Then try to move the external linkage on the transmission manually.If the wheels move then you are most likely not getting the full travel you need to engage the forward gears.Might help you narrow down your problem.Im sure I dont need to say this,but be careful and make sure both rear wheels are off the ground and chalk the fronts and watch out for the drive shaft.Good luck.

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Before you put it in park with the wheels off the ground hold the brake to stop the wheels from turning. Or you can turn off the ignition and when the wheels are done spinning put it in park. This will keep you from making a bunch of racket in the transmission with the park paw.

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
I will try it out! Maybe first I will try disconnecting the linkage and moving the ext trans link to make sure it's connected internally, just to see if I can feel it click thru the positions, then I'll give it a shot with the engine running. Hoping it's just gonna take some creative bending to get the whole linkage in synch.

Thanks so much for the responses, my son & I are gonna go out to the garage and give it a shot. I'll let you all know how it goes.

1978_Andy_Project

Daily Driver
May 21, 2014
Alton, Illinois
Found the arm that goes to the bracket on the frame was not in!!!!! The arm is back in place and tested the gears with the rear on stands. Everything seems good, and the rubbing against the header stopped too. Hooked the vacuum modulator to the manifold behind the carb, and plan on getting some brakes working tomorrow. Hope replacing the wheel cylinder isn't too bad!

Thanks for the replies! And sorry for my noob-ness!!!
Andy

1981Regal

Dragway Regular
Mar 10, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Glad you found the issue hope all is well with the transmission. Never hurts to ask questions and gain knowledge. Maybe you will be able to pass your knowledge along to someone else .

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!