Torque convertor slippage

willtow

Daily Driver
Jul 9, 2012
Trying to dial in new set up in my malibu car is a 383 500+/- hp.... I run 1/8th mile 4.56 gear 28 tall tire shift at 6400rpm and I'm crossing finish line at 6400 at 97mph my Trans is powerglide leaving on tbrake with a convertor that has a true stall of 5200 this same convertor was in my other combo which was a 355 shifting at 6200 and it had a stall of 4300 same Trans same everything crossing traps at 5400-5500 at 91mph just looking for opinions if I'm loosing to much efficiency or if my convertor is where it should be car is deadly consistent all the way from start to finish .....

Your converter is slipping roughly 16 - 18% at the 1/8. While this is a bit to the high side, if you're bracket racing or index racing the car and running competitively then I wouldn't worry about the slippage too much. It's a bit high, but not so much so that I would consider it radically excessive. Ideal slippage in a combination like yours is probably somewhere in the 10 - 13% range at the 1/8, but slippage can be a tricky number to work with. Converter slippage is a lot like cylinder head airflow numbers (CFM)... it tells a story, it just doesn't tell you the WHOLE story. You can have a cylinder head that flows killer numbers and doesn't make any power. In the same way you can have a converter that has killer efficiency numbers but the car just won't run the number because the converter is loading the engine too much and not allowing proper acceleration.

willtow

Daily Driver
Jul 9, 2012
Pete Thanks for reply eases my mind a good bit car is fast and consistent as is . I'm not worried about rpms as far as being high as that's where I'm making my shift anyway just was making sure I wasn't losing a lot of et or power due to slippage but from what you saying the slippage isn't real bad I guess I'll keep a eye on it if it starts going any hight then I'll think about a restall on convertor . I just got curious as it was turning 700-800 more rpms with this motor than the old one ....

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!