4L60E only works when cold...

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
Hey guys, i haven't been on this site for a good while now but really could use some help.

I'm about to buy a 97´Astro 4.3 with a transmission that only works when it's cold.
The first thing that came to my mind was either the modulator or the TV wire.

Does any of you know of any common problem like this in the Astro besides the general
weakness of the 4L60E? I'm thinking that since it works cold it must be some perifiral equipment failing.

Input please!

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
Haven't been able to look at the car yet, let alone get any codes form it.
Why didn't i think of that? -It should have the E version of the transmission as far as i know.

The mileage is roughly 100K milesa filled with Harley parts/bikes. It seems to be in OK general condition though and i'm a bit surpriced that the trans already let go. They usually last at least 150K miles in G20 fullsize Van's with V8's in them :?

The weather over here has been rain, rain and some more rain but i might take a look at it tomorrow or at least early next week.

DREW78BU

Amateur Racer
Mar 13, 2005
HOUMA, LA.
myspace.com
Sounds like you have some seals going bad. Does It pull at all? Does the fluid smell burnt?

Sounds like you going to be pulling it out for a rebuild.

matty man

Dragway Regular
Jun 1, 2003
Grove City , Ohio
I would change the filter & fluid,, I always weld in a 1/2 20 thread nut to the bottom of the transmission pan, for a drain plug, find a spot where the drain plug can bolt in and not hit anything when installed, add some Lucas transmission aditive ( with the drain plug installed its very easy to drain & fill the transmission now) run the Lucas and then drain in about 500 miles put in fresh fluid, do that a couple of times that could help ya out. Every one of my cars has a transmission drain plug in it, I had a 93 Astro van, had 205,000 miles on it, installed a drain plug the first time I serviced the transmission 45K, I drained the transmission every other oil change back when transmission fluid was .99 cents a quart, now I use Amsoil, the best fluid out there, but that old asto van is still out there locally drivin` still today. Service the 3rd member as well, I bet the gear lube has never been changed either, matty man 8)

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
matty man said:
I would change the filter & fluid,, I always weld in a 1/2 20 thread nut to the bottom of the transmission pan, for a drain plug, find a spot where the drain plug can bolt in and not hit anything when installed, add some Lucas transmission aditive ( with the drain plug installed its very easy to drain & fill the transmission now) run the Lucas and then drain in about 500 miles put in fresh fluid, do that a couple of times that could help ya out. Every one of my cars has a transmission drain plug in it, I had a 93 Astro van, had 205,000 miles on it, installed a drain plug the first time I serviced the transmission 45K, I drained the transmission every other oil change back when transmission fluid was .99 cents a quart, now I use Amsoil, the best fluid out there, but that old asto van is still out there locally drivin` still today. Service the 3rd member as well, I bet the gear lube has never been changed either, matty man 8)

Some really good info there!
Thanks.I'm sorry but it's all for nothing. I broke the engine on my Supermotard bike, the brakes on my Mercedes collapsed and A-Head tuning has just finished up the porting/freshening of the Kawasaki cylinder head. I honestly can't even emagine how i will get myself out of this one!
The Astro is still sitting there though, and i bet it will for some time so maybe i will get my hands on it later.

Thanks for all the help guys!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!