Remote mounted shifter arm...

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
... has anyone tried it with a standard 4-speed shifter and some ingenuity?
I'm talking about a setup similar to this, but with the typical externally-shifted transmission (Mustang T5 shifter):
sda-555-7321_w.jpg

I found a decent solid modeling program, and scrapped my first idea... partially because it would take either specially-made parts, or adapting an already expensive shifter ('04+ GTO)...
huu-3915065_w.jpg

The base would simply be a piece of 1/4" steel with a mounting tab welded on. The stick itself would be a piece of round stock (1/2"? 3/4"?), threaded at the end for a 1/2" heim joint, that would be bolted to the base and act as the pivot. Partway up the stick it would be machined to slide/bolt (with a sleeve) into the end of an arm that would go to the shifter on the transmission, and be secured to the shifter itself with a sleeve/bolt (allow fore/aft movement of the shifter, and allow side-side movement without binding). By measuring the length of the original shifter stick, and the effective length of the stick arm (heim joint to where the arm is bolted, along with the heim to the shifter ball), you can calculate the arc length (distance required to shift). I've seen one car with this 'remote' style setup before, but it was a top-load style shifter... I can't remember if I saw it in an article or in person at a show.
2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

5.jpg

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
Where did you find the solid modeling program?

The GTO shifter looks like it would work OK, but I would be concerned about the GT500 shifter. I am not convinced that the sideways motion of the handle will convey to the shifter efficiently. I feel there would be a lot of loss of motion because the arm is not straddling the shifter or the handle like it is on the GTO shifter or on your model.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
My original post on solid modeling... http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=88336
I used CoCreate Modeling Personal 2.0 from PTC (http://www.ptc.com), it's a free home-type version.

True, that's why I desinged it like I did. I think the round arm in the Mustang would have too much flex trying to muscle the arm on an external style shifter. That was my first time using the modeling program, so it took me quite a while, but I managed to get a picture of what was in my head. If I actually had a heim joint to look at in my hands (and a better understanding of the program) I could get a more accurate image of the stick/joint, but I figured what it shows is good enough for now :p I figure the most expensive part would be the arm itself. The stick could be turned on a lathe & threaded, the plate would just need to be cut and have the correct tab welded to it. The arm would have to be machined (and the stick where they are connected), but it's nothing too extravagant I don't think.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
So I'm revisiting the thought of a T5, and while looking for remote style T5 shifters I came across the one in the picture I took.

Looks like it's not available anymore, from what I could find it was around $200... a little spendy but considering a Hurst shifter costs that much I suppose it would be semi-reasonable. Looks like if I do put a T5 in and want a closer shifter I'll have to draw up my own and maybe have a local shop make it, probably would cost about the same when all's said & done.

How does your T5 feel shifting into 3rd/5th, is it a reach? I don't have a stock stick on my 4-speed right now and 3rd is quite a reach for me, nothing like the Fiero where every gear is right within reach.
20050329_13_small.jpg

Mine looks identical to this, though not near as nice, that's a short shifter (stock one is closer to the steering wheel), I can shift into almost every gear with a flick of the wrist.

Last edited by a moderator:

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The Hurst F body shifter is in the perfect location; it can't be any further back. Because my transmission is mounted straight up, I had to bend the shifter base towards the driver the same amount that it was already bent away from the driver. I first tried with the base bent straight up, and the knob was too far away from me. Now the knob position is as natural as it can get. I don't have to move away from the normal sitting position to move the shifter into any gear. The Hurst shifter has a short throw.

The Chevette T5 stub, with a knob screwed on it, was a bit of a reach in the wagon but got better with an S10 shifter and different handle.

An S10 shifter would have to be pretty long to end up in a location that feels natural.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!