Transmission Crossmember

Malibu Mad

Amateur Racer
May 29, 2003
New Brunswick, Canada
I had a crossmember fabricated out of 2" square steel with 3/8" steel to make the exhausts cut-outs. With the weight of the transmission on it I find that there is some flex when I pull down and push up on the transmission. Should the crossmember be completely rigid or is some flex acceptable.? I was thinking of adding gussets to the cut-outs to try to stiffen it if necessary.

A

Anonymous

My G-force member flexes a very little when I set the transmission down. I think completely rigid might not be the best but ofcourse you don't want it floppin around under there either.

Throw some picks up of everything installed and I'm sure one of the more knowledgable welder dudes on here will chime in.

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
I used the original crossmember with some 3"x4"x.125" tubing and it doesn't seem like it flexes much at all to me.
This is the only pic I have of it currently:
DSC02351.jpg

gstock8732

Dragway Regular
Jan 21, 2009
Jersey
did you ever try to flex the crossmember before hand..

if you are sure the weld are good, ithink you should be ok.. it looks pretty sound to me.

CpTech

Amateur Racer
Oct 4, 2004
Hatboro, Pa.
I've got a iceman turbo 400 crossmember with the extra frame piece for sale if anyone is interested. It's one of his earlier pieces, not the new light weight design. It definitely helps
stiffen the chassis by tying the frame rails together. I never noticed any kind of sagging with it. It's a very solid cross member.

Thanks

2000LS1

Daily Driver
Aug 6, 2009
Ohio
www.4speedconversions.com
Sorry, I just noticed the butt weld on top. I would also grind the weld flat and weld a plate across the top 1/4" should do it. I'm not trying to pick it apart. I've been a Millright for 20years and I know what flex will do to flat plate.

sbmalibu

Frequent Racer
Oct 5, 2009
north judson indiana
I think that crossmember is doobers not the one the op built.

toxicbu

Frequent Racer
Feb 25, 2009
romeoville il
no flex, this is why thay have rubber pads on the frame and trans mount.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts