Ford 8.8 swap....

1BAD81BU

Pro Stocker
Aug 6, 2003
Whiteland, IN.
BUMP, for a good topic. I might be interested in this too. I need another rear to replace the 7.5 posi I already have. Nick

A

Anonymous

For all the guys with G-bodies you have to use a mustang or thunderbird rear because of the cast "ears" for the upper controll arms. The sn-95 rears are 1 1/2" wider 94-98. And also new-edge is wider 99-04. The best would be 8.8 out of a 79-93 mustang. I find them for $100 a pop alot around here.

*** (I may be wrong about the explorer rears)*****
-Are they leaf spring or factory 4-link? Im not sure.

I guess Im gonna try this rear, Hopefully I will pick up my next project car saturday!

A

Anonymous

Re: and...

84cutlass357 said:
what can be cool is that most weld draglites are 5x4.75 AND 5x4.5 so maybe you can muster up a set and just use diff holes and no one will be the wiser!
rob

ps---8.8 fan here

Yeah, It would be hard to notice that for sure (especially with 5/8" studs ;))

I have always been an 8.8 fan. I have seen several cars in the mid-8's with an 8.8 rear. I had one mustang that was a DR car with 33 spline axles and a spool 5/8" studs. I dont think anything would break it that is still "stock suspension" (35 spline is available have to install big ford ends)

The best part is... it is stronger than a 8.5 10 bolt (ring gear issue) may be stronger than a 12 bolt (definatly on par) and takes about 10hp less to turn than a ford 9" due to the pinion location :)

What has to be modified...

-Have to weld on spring perches
-May have to modify the LCA mounts
-Custom upper control arms (mustangs wider apart)

Nothing really different than a 12-bolt except the LCA mounts, and surely the cost of that would be offset buy the relativly cheap price for parts for an 8.8......

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Turbo Diesel,
Thanks for the good information. Perhaps some one could do a tech section/ article on swapping in a Ford 8.8 rear into a Malibu/ G-body...*hint, hint*
Jack ;)

1BAD81BU

Pro Stocker
Aug 6, 2003
Whiteland, IN.
Jack, I'll second that! Turbodiesel-Get busy! :lol: Seriously, thanks for the info.:D Nick

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
If someone wants to attempt it and document it, I'll be glad to post it in the TECH/FAQ sections. :nana_wrench:

PAHR

Amateur Racer
Oct 1, 2005
Tennessee
Some 8.8 info

8.8 Mustang, Pre 98 Ranger, Bronco II's are 28 splined axles.

8.8 Explorer, 99-current Ranger are 31 splined axles

Ranger & Bronco II's mount below the leaf springs.

Explorer's mount above the leaf springs.

Mustang's are like a Malibu, upper & lower control arms.

The tag on differencial cover will read "3L73" if it has a LOCKER, if it is an OPEN rearend it won't have the "L".

Just some FOOD FOR THOUGHT!!!

GOOD LUCK & BTW: I have 3.73 & 4.10 factory Ford gears in original boxes for the 8.8, if your interested, just drop me an email.

A

Anonymous

for some reason i can't fined the tech aera im_sorry.gif

A

Anonymous

this does sound interesting - I've been thinking about a new (and posi) replacement for my peg-legged 7.5 time-bomb

fyi - explorer/mountaineers are leaf-spring - you can see the leaf springs on my '97

also, at least the '96 on up V8 models had 3.73 gears - so you could cannibalize it for another 8.8.. I'm not sure what gears the v6 models used or if they changed for the earlier years

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!