Timing Mech vs Vac advance Good Read

Phantom

Pro Stocker
Oct 9, 2004
DeSoto Wi
by Dragginwagon
Personally with your combo, and I'm "assuming" it's not regularly street driven, more of a weekend warrior, then I'd lock out the dist.

I second that.
I locked mine out this year and should have done it a long time ago.

A

Anonymous

how do you set the timing above 12 degrees when the timing tab only goes to 12? i am reading in posts that it may need to be set alot higher than that

A

Anonymous

Re: I have neither

Excelerater said:
My distrub is locked at 38 degrees

:p

Best Put for>> Performance :D

If you Have a Hard Start Issue with Timing Locked Out It's Not becuase of the Timing Locked out,
You have a Weak Battery,Poor Connections,Weak Starter,Etc.

14to1+ 406 NO Cranking Issues at 38 Degrees Locked
280-284* Duration @ .050
106 L/S
.683-.688 Gross Lift

Don;t Matter whether It's a Tow Truck,Daily Driver,Etc.
NO engine will Have better Throttle Response thatn that of one is Locked out,
As for The Lean Idle Mixture at Idle with Locked out Timing >>
Simply Adjust Idle Mixture Screws to fatten it up at Idle.

It's like this NO Matter how it was explained in the Looooong Post
If a Engine is Running It's Timing at say 20* Timing it WILL Be Running RICHER at a Idle.... Thus seeing Idle cooling Capability.

Now say you run it at 40^ Timing Locked out,
Of course It's gonna want More fuel at a Idle as It's Lighting the Fuel Sooner,
In short Fatten Idle Mixture up by backing out Mixture screws.....
You've Now solved the Idle Cooling Capability and WILL Have Much Better Throttle response,
Fattening up Idle Mixture Plays NO Role in Fuel Economy Once Throttle Blades get opened up (Above 1800 RPM's)

Hope this clarifies things for those looking for Optimum Performance 8)

xtremeclonedss

Amateur Racer
May 22, 2003
Kansas City, MO
nice article

All I have to contribute to this is that for a beginner that is trying to learn and understand as much as possible it is nice to have guys explain stuff in simple language where you can understand it.

Thanks for the explanation.

A

Anonymous

I just purchased a new holley 650 double pumper and the instructions say to hook the vacuum advance on the ported vacuum port up above the idle mixture screw. After reading this I'm kind of confused. A reputable company like holley don't know where you are suppose to hook the vacuum advance?

A

Anonymous

kybowbender said:
I just purchased a new holley 650 double pumper and the instructions say to hook the vacuum advance on the ported vacuum port up above the idle mixture screw. After reading this I'm kind of confused. A reputable company like holley don't know where you are suppose to hook the vacuum advance?

If your Gonna use the Vacuum advance this is where you need to hook it up,
It's called Ported Vacuum,
The Port Holley is referring about Makes Little to any Vacuum at Idle,As RPM's Increase so does the Vacuum at this Port 8)

A

Anonymous

What I was saying is that holley instructions conflict with the post that starts this thread. I have tried it both ways and I have to say that manifold vacuum seems to give better thottle response and a smoother idle at lower rpms. Right now I am at 15 degrees base and 36 degrees at 3200 rpm with vacuum advance disabled. When I hook up the vacuum advance my timing is at 32 degrees at 1000 rpm. Idle mixture screws at 2 turns out.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
kybowbender said:
What I was saying is that holley instructions conflict with the post that starts this thread. I have tried it both ways and I have to say that manifold vacuum seems to give better thottle response and a smoother idle at lower rpms. Right now I am at 15 degrees base and 36 degrees at 3200 rpm with vacuum advance disabled. When I hook up the vacuum advance my timing is at 32 degrees at 1000 rpm. Idle mixture screws at 2 turns out.

Do you have a stock emissions distributor? If so, that's why your advance comes in too soon on manifold vacuum.

Tommy

A

Anonymous

I have a gm performance HEI destributor that I ordered from summit. I thought that the vacuum advance was suppose to be in at idle and drop out as the throttle opens.

A

Anonymous

kybowbender said:
I have a gm performance HEI destributor that I ordered from summit. I thought that the vacuum advance was suppose to be in at idle and drop out as the throttle opens.

If you run Vacuum advance there is Not suppose to be any Vacuum to the Vacuum Port of Distributor until engine is under Part throttle that is the reason Holley recommends This Port.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!