Timing Mech vs Vac advance Good Read

A

Anonymous

Glad it helped you :D if your caddy engine happens post for caddyguy on this board or check out Terrys caddy powered Bu Wagon and Ford PU also caddy powered at petersonracing.com great guys :!: They have a nice site and message board to boot tell them I said hello. :lol:

Got Torque

Top Fueler
Oct 29, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
Will do!

Thank's for the links.

I'll let everyone interested know if i buy the engine or not.

HellCamino

Dragway Regular
Dec 13, 2003
The Dog House
Vacuum cans

:shock: yup that was a bit of a read :shock:
Look'in like a fish.

OK, so you say the vacuum advance is best for a street car.
I would agree,if I could find a can that would work with lots of initial advance and a good curve.

I run a MSD distributor with one medium spring and one heavy spring,full advance at 3000(I think), 18 degrees mechanical advance,and 14 initial,this makes 32 total.Currently without vacuum advance.

I run pump premuim gas.

I have used a stock 18 degree can, a stock 15 degree can,a stock 10 degree can from a Vette, and a Accel adjustable can.None of them have worked without making the engine ping.
The guy who owns and operates the local performance shop in town is the one that suggested the Vette can.He said that it came in at a low Hg point.
Should I try the Echlin#VC-1810 -15 degree can mentioned in the first post?

Whenever I tried to use a advance can I had to retard the initial timing
wich hurt the 60's.I finally used the adjustable Accel can but I had to have the screw so far in that it really had no effect since it only adjusts the total amount of advance added and not the Hg starting point or rate..
If I had known that I would not have bought it.

Is there a master listing of vacuum cans that shows the Hg starting point and their advance rate with Hg loads?

My 79 EL runs a SB350.The combo is 10.2:1,CamDynamics HYD cam 278 221 467 110,Performer RPM,Holley 650DP,S/R Torkers 202/160 Mildly Pocket Ported,1 3/4 inch headers,2 1/2 inch exhaust,MSD distributor,6-A box,Blaster 3 coil,TH-350,Trans-GO Stage II shift kit,TCI 11inch 2400 stall,3.42 possi,26tall tires.

I think this combo might just have too much compression to be able to use more advance at light throttle acceleration during passing, hills and such.

A

Anonymous

It sounds like you have tied several combos to date I had some of the same problems a few yrs ago. After trying all the options I personally went to a locked dist MSD setup. I just changed to EFI last winter and was able to go to ECU control. Post this question on main Fourm Drivetrain Tech for some of our sharper tuners :D shouls be able to answer your questions. Glad to have you on board someone will be able to help you.

Canadian-T-Bone

Dragway Regular
May 25, 2003
Abbotsford,B.C.
All I know is that the more I read ,the more I need to do to my Malibu !
Soooo much time so little $

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the post fred!! :D I think that helped me out!

Mezmorized

Dragway Regular
Nov 7, 2003
Carleton Place, Ontario, Canada
That's going to take me a while to read... LOL I have the attention span of a gerbil!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

wadedog

Pro Stocker
May 21, 2003
southern ohio y'all
thanks fred, that was a good read.
i wonder what conditions then should a guy run the echlin can, how do you know if you need it?
How about some info from you guys that have swapped springs and weights in your street cars with HEI.
what site did that come from fred, sounds like you know some good sites.
how about some site names buddy,lol.

A

Anonymous

Wade I can't remember where I found that at it was on one of the racing boards that it came from. I've slept sense then, wish I knew who the author was I would give them credit for it.

WEBBER

Pro Stocker
Apr 25, 2004
80 miles west of Joliet IL.
Vacum advance ported or manifold

I've been arguing with people for years,on this topic. What a great article.
THANKS!!!!!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!