6.0 motor and transmission are in!!! - NOW A STICKY

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Well, the 5.3s up here I'm seeing for $750 and up, and the 6.0s are about $1,000 and up. I did my search using car-part.com, 2002 gmc/chevy 1500 (1999 up).

stroker81

Dragway Regular
Dec 16, 2004
SW Missouri
Can we get a sticky somewhere with links to this and a couple of the other gen three/four swaps? Lots of good info here and this swap will only get more popular. Only a suggestion. :D

Darracq

Frequent Racer
Jun 1, 2003
kansas
Roller406Bu said:
Excelerater said:
this is the best swap to make IMO right now......
why dont you let our readers know in a little more detail
whats involved with getting one of this installed and how
you are going to fire it up ?
How does the ignition work with a carb,how do you set the computer
or are you fabbing something totally different

I dig it,these motors can be bought pretty cheap and some are all aluminum which is very apealing

I've listed what motor mounts to use and what pan will work with no modifications...Tci makes a converter now that bolts right up to a 350 turbo transmission, I have one. Its a 36-3800 stahl..If you want to use your existing converter you have laying around you can use spacers and make it work.
That little red box you see in the pics is the brain of the operation, it tells the coil packs when to fire, and also reads the cam, and crank sensors. Timing adjustments, 2-step, rev-limiter are all adjustable thru your laptop with this box. The msd comes with 6 plug in chips with different tunes, or you can make your own timing curve. ls1tech.com is good place to learn about these motors, they are extremly easy to work on....

I put a 3600 edge converter in my and it could of used more,and the engine is stock, but yours should work good on the juice, that cam makes max torque aroud 5000rpm

Darracq

Frequent Racer
Jun 1, 2003
kansas
Doober said:
Looks awesome :D I'm glad to see another Gen III motor in a G-body. I'm also kinda curious (if anyone else knows please chime in), do the stock manifolds have any fitment issues? I read some time ago that the Vette manifolds (at least) are pretty good on power, but I'm not sure what level they start becoming a restriction. I've been doing some reading on the LS1 in general over @ LS1Tech, and I think it's my new direction for what I want to eventually do with mine as well (I didn't realize how inexpensive the motors are).

I had my engine set in with stock manifolds looks like everything clears, but i used hooker 98 camaro headers, i just moved the engine around to make everthing fit the best and then, had to clearance a couple tubes just a little.

Roller406Bu

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2003
Elizabethtown Ky
I went with a set of pacesetters race version, (no egr) longtube tube headers for a 98 up camaro like a few others have....Worked out great!!!!

A

Anonymous

Yea most people ive seen do the swap in a gbody use the fbody headers and just have to clearance one tube ont eh passenger side.

I cant wait to start my 6.0 swap, ordering L92 heads soon :D

Roller406Bu

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2003
Elizabethtown Ky
Re: 6.0 motor and transmission are in!!!

ttt

Roller406Bu

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2003
Elizabethtown Ky
just a note to some as well you can run the harness they send for the carb version thru the firewall and mount the msd box controller in the kick panel area on the pass side....the chips they send all have way to much timing as well so i would make your own timing curve asap...anywhere from 29-32 total......I run a factory style radiator as well with a 160 thermo and electric fan car runs flawless and never runs over 180... I also run ngk tr-6's sparkplugs all the time there good for spray...I run 93 all the time since the heads are shaved...

LIL NOVE

Daily Driver
Dec 29, 2008
www.myspace.com
Re: 6.0 motor and transmission are in!!!

Roller406Bu said:

that thing looks pretty sittin in there. very nice build.

JOHN

Glatt

Daily Driver
Nov 13, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
For the headers you used the drivers side Schoenfeld and the pacesetter on the passenger side? I have the Schoenfeld set but I haven't test fit them yet. I also have the transdapt mount kit for mine but the moroso mounts I have put the engine too low and the pan hits the K member. Can you post that information or PM me for building the clamshell mounts?

Arthur

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!