388bu's LQ4 swap thread - Its alive!

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com
Re: 388bu's LQ4 swap thread

Small update.

Bolted my old bell and the T56 up to this sucker today to very that the transmission input shaft extended far enough into the crankshaft and it does! Woo-hoo! I ordered a McCleod flywheel that is .400 inches thicker so that brings the flywheel surface back to where this aftermarket T56 is expecting it. I also ordered a McCleod adapter pilot bushing as its made to sit in the very end of the crank which is about a 2" opening instead of the 1" or so standard SBC opening.

So I dropped her in to see where my shifter ended up. It is 1.25" forward of where it needs to be. I am not sure how I will solve this. Maybe some slotted LS1 to S10 mounts or the transdapt 1" setback mounts. P/N 4575.

Miraculously, this swap is getting cheaper than I thought the further I get into it. I swear, its like Rod Serling is gunna be in my living room any minute now. lol

And an obligatory pic...

2874057262_ce676e11e9_b.jpg

Marco2

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2007
oceanside,ca

The reluctor wheels changed only between the gen III and gen IV platforms. Gen II was 5something and GenIV is 2something.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com

Another small update...

I went ahead and ordered everything to swap over to F-body accessories. This really hurt the wallet, but its going to be all new stuff. I know that I will be fighting the truck accessories down the road when I want to switch to a car intake. So I figured I need to make the switch now instead of buying stuff twice. (New alternator, etc)

I also did some work on the fuel system to account for the returnless fuel rail. I used a 2000 Vette FPR/Filter combo back near the tank. Pics are up on Flickr. Check the link in my sig.

I ordered the BRP 1-7/8" headers. I was going to go with the 1-3/4", but I was talking to a guy there and he said if I do L92 heads, the ports are bigger and wont work with the smaller headers. I was considering the 1-7/8" anyways because they just sound badass. I know ill lose some torque down low, but hopefully they will shine when I get the L92's and a big cam.

I had to notch my A/C box a good bit to clear the valve cover. I have the motor set back pretty far to keep the T56 in the same place it was before. I REALLY didnt want to move the shifter location and buy a new driveshaft so I think this was the lesser of two evils.

Shooting to have this thing running in about 3 weeks. Waiting on parts is slowing me down.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com

Like a glove! The motor is sitting nice between the fenders now.

So I decided to move my motor forward about 3/4" from where I originally planned to put it. This puts the T56 3/4" further forward from where it was with the SBC. My driveshaft was border line too long anyways, so this works out OK. The passenger valve cover was just too close to the A/C box for my liking before. So as the motor sits now, its about 3/4" back from the position it would be in if you took the transdapt 4592 mounts and just bolted everything up like stock.

Since I moved the motor forward, the f-body pan wouldnt work any longer. I ordered a CTS-V pan and it came in today. This damn pan is, in my opinion, THE pan for a g-body swap. I have about 1" between the sump area and the crossmember under the engine. It hangs down about 1/2" max below the crossmember, thats it.

The f-body alternator is close to the P/S pump, but still plenty of room. New pics at http://flickr.com/photos/388bu/sets/72157607400245239/

Now if my McCleod flywheel would arrive, I can start buttoning this thing up.

Marco2

Weekend Racer
Jul 19, 2007
oceanside,ca

Looks like it coming along perfectly. You still have tons of room between the firewall and the rear of the engine.

388bu

Top Fueler
May 27, 2003
Huntley, il
www.shiftn6.com

Worked on the wiring tonight and laying out the harness/ecm location along with the necessary relay's and fuses. I had decided to mount the ECM about where the windshield washer bottle used to be, but decided it cluttered up the engine bay too much.

The ECM will live under the glove box along with two relays and a 3 spot fuse block now. Should have the wiring pretty much all done within a couple of days or so.

Few new pics at the link in my sig.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!