paint match Q

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
i would like to know if a match can be figured out ? i have no idea what was used on my car but would like to do some blending i have a 79 header panel i want to install plus patch panels and would rather not paint the car. what i had in mind my ride is yellow if i found a darker yellow and added white little by little is it possible to match ? thanks

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
Better to take the car to your paint supplier and have them scan the color that's on it. Random addition of tinting colors seldom yields acceptable results.

Betcha618

Frequent Racer
Sep 19, 2007
coram, NY
but if your paint is faded to hell, scanning the color will give you a shiney version of your faded color.

Ribbedroof

Top Fueler
Sep 14, 2004
Rural Oklahoma
Betcha618 said:
but if your paint is faded to ####, scanning the color will give you a shiney version of your faded color.

And it'll be closer than shotgunning random tint colors to something else.

See, in my business, we have to have repeatable performance. If you just "add some blue pearl to the clearcoat", you'll never get a match if needed later. By scanning the color, you at least have a known starting point. And since he's looking for a blendable match, that's how you start....with a known quantity.

Then there's the whole issue of what tint are you going to try to add to make it close? Some toners are much stronger than others, and if you go outside the formula, good luck ever getting close.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!