welding /replacement lower panels

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
what i am wondering as i am a novice in this area well i have extra quater panels i wanted to use as a template to form lower panels behind the rear tires what stumps me is how to create a lip that would seat inside the quater panel creating a backing to weld the seam and have the cut/seam to be flush ,was also going to drill holes in the outer portion {like a spot weld } and weld the inside lip of replacement panel to the outer original panel . so my quest ----- is there a tool to do this ? another ques what gauge is thick enough ? what i intend to use for a welder is a wire feed non gas mig and it only has a min/max amp setting and running .030 flux core wire hope it makes sense thanks

O. D. Showtime

Top Fueler
Nov 23, 2003
Regina SK Canada
I think your talking about a flange tool. Don't know much about em. Here's a quick link. Is this what your trying to do? I just grabbed the first thing off a google search. There is pneumatic ones too.

http://www.repaintsupply.com/pd-blair-13229-flanger-sheet-metal-panel-flange-tool1.cfm

A

Anonymous

one problem with flanging them is now water could get in between the two panels and form more rust.

18 guage steel will work fine

I can almost guarantee you that you will blow holes in your sheet metal not using gas. If you insist on using flux practice on scrap first.

BIGDOGG

Amateur Racer
Nov 26, 2008
gobles mi
With glue it will seal the panel were you were going to weld and it will hold as good and maby better than you would thank. I have seen this used in alot of applications. And so far so good. I used to do alot of body work my self but iam not a pro.

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
i saw them use that on the powerblock trucks a member here used it also i am going to try the welding if that fails i will go the adhesive route but wont be doing anything until spring would eastwood have that adhesive? i figured with a flange there would be a better chance not having blow through with the welder think i will do research thanks

BIGDOGG

Amateur Racer
Nov 26, 2008
gobles mi
Yeah i would go the welding route if i had on. I am just now building up what i used to have. The best thing is the glue will seal/fuse the two pieces of metal together. Other than using the welder you must use weld through primer and if at all possible paint the back side of the metal to seal the air and water out also dirt from getting in. Rust sucks.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!