welding /replacement lower panels

79izfine

Pro Stocker
Nov 20, 2005
massachusetts
www.cardomain.com
oh i hear you on the rust i have alot of rust/rot what i was planning was drilling spot weld hols along the flange then prime and paint the mating surfaces then setting the panel on and tracing the spot weld hols then cleaning the paint on the trace marks then welding the holes a bit extreme but the paint will help the sealing bare metal i did this when i remove my wiper tray to clean and paint up under it and it welded fine .

BBC81Malibu

Amateur Racer
Aug 2, 2008
Atlantic City, NJ
79izfine said:
what i am wondering as i am a novice in this area well i have extra quater panels i wanted to use as a template to form lower panels behind the rear tires what stumps me is how to create a lip that would seat inside the quater panel creating a backing to weld the seam and have the cut/seam to be flush ,was also going to drill holes in the outer portion {like a spot weld } and weld the inside lip of replacement panel to the outer original panel . so my quest ----- is there a tool to do this ? another ques what gauge is thick enough ? what i intend to use for a welder is a wire feed non gas mig and it only has a min/max amp setting and running .030 flux core wire hope it makes sense thanks

Like some the guys here said: There are various brands of body panel adhesives that work very well. One other way you can create a backing to weld to is cut a strip of 16-18 ga. metal, drill a couple holes and plug weld the backing strip (which would be partially inserted behind existing quarter panel) Then you could use the adhesive to attach the patch section to your backing strip. Flux core welding will be somewhat tricky to do and should be avoided. Gas Mig is a much better process to use if you are able to. The flanging tools are OK at best and have a tendency to create unnecessary waves in the metal.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!