!@#%$ Rust - Update 1-9-09

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Well, My son and I got out there tonight and stripped out all of the interior. I had budgeted for replacement of most of the interior plastic pieces. But now, after ripping up the carpet, I found a lot of rust in the floor pans. I knew it had some, but it's much worse than I thought. :evil: To be fixed "right", both complete floor pans need to be replaced. This is going to cost about $460 from Sherman Associates. Plus, I'll probably pay someone to do it, because I don't know that I would want to tackle that job. Man, it seems like it's just one thing after another... OK, I'll quit whining now. crybaby.gif

Front passenger side:
0109092035_resize.jpg

Rear passenger side, someone did a major hack job with a small "patch" :roll: :
0109092036_resize.jpg

Driver's side not any better:
http://www.maliburacing.com/josh_malibu/floorboards/0109092036a_resized.jpg

Fortunately, there isn't any rust anywhere else on the car (that I can spot). I guess it had a windshield or rear window leak?

The joys of working on old cars! :lol:

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
It's a little hard to tell in the pics, but that doesnt look that bad. You should see mine and the hack job someone did to them. I found a new set locally for $450, going to ask the guy if he'll take $375 and keep my fingers crossed [-o< I'd try a wire brush and vacuum and see how bad they really are before you get too depressed.

MalibuRacing

Top Fueler
May 5, 2003
www.maliburacing.com
Yeah, I need to "clean it up" and see if I can get away with a patch job. It just seems like I go one step forward, then get knocked back two... :-({|=

bowtie81

Mar 28, 2008
sarnia, ontario canada
mine were worse than that i mig welded a new piece in and use fiberglass over top and they've been like that for 8 yrs now with no problems

Killerdave8813

Dragway Regular
Jan 16, 2008
Cincinnati,Ohio
Yea I've seen way worse,I don't see any holes in the pics,I think I'd clean it up a bit and see what was left myself before I got carried away with floor pans,Later

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
Phil let me tell you it'll be OK. I got my car in 2000 and replaced the carpet in 2003 or '04. There were a few small pin holes and I filled them with RTV. Then I went to college and the car sat outside for a couple years and when I redid the carpet this summer I found a huge hole on both sides :shock: I bought a welder and patched them and then sealed it up, not the best way to do it but the trans tunnel was fine so I figured why replace it. It took a few weeks and now I park it out of the rain, if that is all you have to worry about then count yourself lucky :D
-Josh

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
Yeah, honestly that looks like surface rust for the most part. You should see what I did to replace some of the small holes I have on the '81 :lol: (it's a beater so I don't think I spent more than $10-$15 in parts). I mainly did it to keep water out. Yours looks to not be near as bad as mine. After patching the floor I would definitely put something like Eastwood's in there. I checked the floorboard of my truck when I got it a few months back. The padding was literally soaked, and the floorboard has a ton of surface rust. It was starting to get chilly out so I didn't really have time to do anything about it before the cold hit, I'm a little worried what I may find when I yank the seats/console/flooring out after things warm back up [-o<

wiseman79

Top Fueler
Dec 18, 2004
Central Virginia
www.performancetech.net
I'm probably butchering the spelling. It's a rust encapsulator Eastwood used to sell, I just checked their site and then tried googling it but didn't find it. I used the product on a frame 7-8 years ago so maybe it's not made or goes by another name now.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!