what 3.8 do i have

dragonmaster093

Daily Driver
Sep 12, 2011
kingsport tn
its factory in my 79 cutty wagon has front distrbutor on the drivers side. need to know since thinking of cam intake swap dont know if even or od fire for ordering a cam. im sure valve cover dont much matter but look like a sbc just smaller

dragonmaster093

Daily Driver
Sep 12, 2011
kingsport tn
will the trans bell housing be ( hope hope) uni patern or bop or chevy. got a 305 i can put in as long as i dont have to replace trans thanks

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
dragonmaster093 said:
will the trans bell housing be ( hope hope) uni patern or bop or chevy. got a 305 i can put in as long as i dont have to replace trans thanks
You can check the transmission for a dual bolt pattern, But I wouldnt count on it.

Doug

80ECLT

MalibuRacing Junkie
Nov 21, 2006
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
I think the factory 1979 trans for a V6 231 will be BOP pattern only. the later models had dual patterns.

dragonmaster093

Daily Driver
Sep 12, 2011
kingsport tn
whats the best parts to wake up this lil sucker? what carb can i use in place of the dual jet thats on it? its that few yrs only (that ive found) 1/2 a quadra jet. seems like it was a v6 only carb and didnt stick around long there are rebuild kits for it but due to odd shape an after market air cleaner has to have a hard to find adapter. if an other carb like carter or holley 2 barrel carb will bolt on that would be good

Darwinskeeper

Frequent Racer
Sep 18, 2005
Wichita, Kansas
Sorry, but like most of the people on this board I really have no experience with normally aspirated Buick V6s. In my case, I have a lightly modified Chevy 4.3 V6 (3/4 of a Chevy 350) in Darwin and a tired, stock Chevy 3.8 (229) in White Lightning.

I'd imagine that the basic mods I used on Darwin, a small 4bbl carb, a dual plane intake manifold, mild head cleanup, a mild camshaft, headers and a dual exhaust would help, but I have no clue as to the specifics for the Buick V6.

You might use the browser of your choice and see what's out there for the Buick V6. I did a little looking awhile back and most of the info I found was for the odd-fire Dauntless 225 that was used on Jeeps.

John E.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!