Could somebody give me a straight answer please

FLAV-A

Daily Driver
May 5, 2008
Southaven, Ms
Hey guys,
i am swapping a 700r4 into an 84 monte carlo ss that originally had a 350th. 700r4 Transmission is installed, drive shaft is in. I want to retain the factory style console shifter. Will a 2004r overdrive factory shifter, cable, trans bracket, and shift lever work with my 700r4? I haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone. Can someone answer that has done the swap? Thanks

Randy W

Frequent Racer
I can't say, but I can tell you that with a very minor mod to the shift lever on the side of the transmission your current shifter setup will shift all the gears and give near perfect alignment with any factor 4 speed indicator.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
Randy W said:
I can't say, but I can tell you that with a very minor mod to the shift lever on the side of the transmission your current shifter setup will shift all the gears and give near perfect alignment with any factor 4 speed indicator.

** Bingo, when I swapped the 350c to 200r4 into my 84 I had to tweak the bracket in able to shift all the way thru from park to low gear. There was a cut and weld involved to get the bracke to line up with the holes in the trans pan. Although in my instance I used the trans bracket from my 350c on the 200r4. Once the bracket was bolted in I found that setting the shifter and trans in low gear first went a long way to aligning everything else ( catching Neutral and reverse in their proper detent on the shifter relating to the transmission ). We had to do the same in a friends car when swapping from 200r4 to 700r4 as the bolts did not line up on his trans pan either. Once you have it close there is a jam-nut on the bracket attaching to side of the trans allowing appx 1" of travel and adjsutment.

axisg

Frequent Racer
May 13, 2008
YYZ ( Toronto )
FLAV-A said:
so i guess thats a "no"? Does anyone of u guys have any pics?

Anyone else swapped from a 350 to a 700r4?

After all I wrote why would you think it won't work? I just explained that it will work, you just need to do a little cut and paste to make it work. Due to the face the Gbody was never equipped with a 700r you have to make it work.

I will look thru my older pics and see if I have any for you.

SSedan64

Dragway Regular
Oct 5, 2009
MACON, GA.
You may need to slot one or both of the mounting Bolt holes on the 2004R Bracket but, it will work with the 700R4 Trans.

2004R Bracket > http://www.montecarloss.com/TCC_3.jpg
B&M Bracket > http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-30498/ it fits most GM Trans TH250/TH350/TH375/TH400/2004R/700R4.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!