Wagon Rear Bumper Fillers?

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
:) thanks,i never liked the look of the plate on the front of the g body bumpers.and unfortunately around here they frown on
no front plate on cars so i just embraced it.it's not bad just wish i didn't have to have one on the front.i have followed NILABU's car it's sweet,and the bumper work is awesome.you guys are right the header panels do look better without an emblem.it looks good.even if I'm using a 4 headlight.I'm sure you guys can see past that some day...and yes i can't wait till I'm at the point where i can hang my bumpers on,the garage I'm working out of is a little tight so i can't put the nose on yet.everything in time i guess.keep the pictures coming Jack it's good to see.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Many of these "styling" features were an "afterthought" in my opinion. Any subtle changes are a definite improvement as far as I'm concerned.
And again, I like your frenched in license plate bucket.
At one point I thought of buying a steel streetrod metal pocket to weld into my tailgate. I have thought of eliminating the plastic POS, But I think I might end up just painting it.
I know what you mean about the lack of space. I have a two car garage, but it's filled up, even with my wagon sitting outdoors. I would like like to build a spraybooth. It will probably be in the garage, which will entail removing everything to make room...or I can assemble one outside. The weather hasn't been as mild and consistent as last winter.
Are you using a 4-headlight header panel? They do look good, especially with a nice custom tube grille...and a pair of Euro style headlamps.
How far along are you on your car?
You gotta excuse me... :? I forgot your name...old age... :roll:

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
Longroof79 said:
Many of these "styling" features were an "afterthought" in my opinion. Any subtle changes are a definite improvement as far as I'm concerned.
And again, I like your frenched in license plate bucket.
At one point I thought of buying a steel streetrod metal pocket to weld into my tailgate. I have thought of eliminating the plastic POS, But I think I might end up just painting it.
I know what you mean about the lack of space. I have a two car garage, but it's filled up, even with my wagon sitting outdoors. I would like like to build a spraybooth. It will probably be in the garage, which will entail removing everything to make room...or I can assemble one outside. The weather hasn't been as mild and consistent as last winter.
Are you using a 4-headlight header panel? They do look good, especially with a nice custom tube grille...and a pair of Euro style headlamps.
How far along are you on your car?
You gotta excuse me... :? I forgot your name...old age... :roll:
haha yes gm has always had a lot after thoughts.i thought about using a steel box in the tailgate for the plate but i like the shape of the oe plate bucket.i painted mine too.that plate bucket is actually all chrome,it's just painted black and they masked the outline of it.yea I'm running the 4 headlight set up,i dechromed the grille and headlight bezels.i only have a picture the grille to show you but I'm digging the look so far,it pops!love the contrast
bike001.jpg
.as far as the car goes,Ive got the dash column in,i just removed the headliner for a better one.i assembled the interior and the headliner i bought hung down so bad it wouldn't allow the visors to move all the way.so,the interior was together minus the carpet and seats.
your not the only one with a full garage,i share mine so I'm limited.
Picture021.jpg
i have a fan in one corner that's worked for me painting in the past,the garage was much cleaner when the car was on the rotisserie.i could see making a makeshift booth outside in the MUCH better weather,where make up heat wouldn't be an issue.there's a lot to be said about making your own booth,it does work.just gotta use ur head and be smart with it.living in New England and doing it isn't as much fun as people think.I'm sure in your part of the world it would be more feasible too.if you do it let me know, it's possible to get good results.
Chris

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Chris,
Thanks for sharing the pics. It looks like you're going with the mono-chromatic look. It should look good when it's all together. I guess you're doing a body-off on your car. I would have liked to have gone that way, but it's a matter of time and space...and $$$. Using a rotisserie is a great tool. It beats having to lay on your back, and puts you in a good comfortable position to access the bottoms of the floors for repair and painting.
As for the spraybooth, I may still do it indoors using 1" PVC pipe for the frame work, and plastic sheeting (visquene)for the tent portion. I'm still working out the logistics.
Keep up the good work, buddy. We'll all get there eventually.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
yea i like it so far.yea it kinda turned into a body off and the space opened up and the rotisserie was a fixer upper for 500 bucks and the space I'm sharing is with my buddy, who's 66 mustang is next so i couldn't pass.it'll fit on there nice.
money is a huge thing,that's why I'm STILL!! working on it.sounds like your on the right track with the booth.thanks for the kind words,us guys gotta stick together.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Chris,
It looks like the body is already painted. Is the next step bolting the body to the frame? You're fortunate to have garage space. Many guys would kill to have that. So we're lucky in that respect.
Having unlimited funds would make things go quicker, but we do what we gotta do,
You're right man. Us guys have to stick together.
I'll keep you informed on any new developments.

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
the body's on and it's all painted but i can't assemble the nose and hang the doors due to space.thanks for the kind words.and yes it's a slow road.what can you do?keep up the good work.

Wagon Master

Amateur Racer
Feb 16, 2012
New Jersey
Yea, i know about taking the slow road. The way I look at, to keep me sane and not get overwhelmed, is that anything I do on the car, no matter how small, is one step closer to getting the car on the road.

I love the way the grill came out. I too think the mono-chromatic look is going to look great. I had a 89 Chevy C1500 in red with the sport package which removed all the chrome trim and painted the bumper and mirriors which had a similar mono look which i like.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Scott,
You're absolutely right. Any small task that you accomplish on the car, is still one less thing that has to be addressed...and all those small tasks sure add up, don't they :?
It does seem overwhelming at times, but sometimes you just have to walk away and take a breather...then go back to it when you feel up to it.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
I know it's been a few years, Scott.
I came across this old thread and was wondering how you made out with your wagon redo.
Hope you're still around and enjoying your ride.
I repainted mine a few years back. I'll see if I can post a few pics. If you see this post and want to say "HI", that would be great. 8)
Jack

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!