how much paint?

rodneypierce

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hey guys, im getting ready to paint the Malibu here soon, and was curious as to how much paint will be needed for the entire car and engine compartment (bumpers and grill included). Ive heard a gallon once reduced will be plenty, then have also heard that I should buy 2 gallons. Also, same for clear.

Just trying to get an idea here. Color will be silver metallic over gray sealer, so coverage should be pretty good I would think!

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
rodneypierce said:
Hey guys, im getting ready to paint the Malibu here soon, and was curious as to how much paint will be needed for the entire car and engine compartment (bumpers and grill included). Ive heard a gallon once reduced will be plenty, then have also heard that I should buy 2 gallons. Also, same for clear.

Just trying to get an idea here. Color will be silver metallic over gray sealer, so coverage should be pretty good I would think!
one gallon will reduce to make two sprayable gallons.don't buy two gallons you'll end up with four total gallons.it's not cheap,save your money&yes with the grey sealer it will cover well enough

melloelky

Top Fueler
Jul 1, 2009
mass
it depends,are you gonna lay down 2-3 coats and be done or are you gonna block it out and clear it again?i know you said the firewall grille etc but I'd go with over a gallon.if you end up having to respraying the car or some stuff and end up flow coating the car or some parts your looking at more than a gallon..if moneys tight you could start out with a gallon and two quarts and see how much your using as you go along with the painting.it really depends on how you paint and what your looking for it to look like. you might find yourself using more material than you thought.i'd rather see some left than not enough.

rodneypierce

Frequent Racer
Oct 9, 2013
Cedar Rapids, IA
I dont plan to block the clear out. Ill spray 3-4 coats on the body, and probably go a bit lighter on the engine compartment. Ill get two gallons of clear then.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!