Anyone Have The "replacement BULB" Headlight Mod?

A

Anonymous

I've pondering getting a pair of these since my one light is quite dull. The light assembly looks just like the sealed beam light BUT, u run a "H3" bulb. Still pretty much the same price, a bit easier to swap out, when a light blows, and ~supposed~ to be brighter.
I've seen a pr made by APC but, look pretty chinsy.

Let me know...I'm just trying to make my car as up to date while keeping it a classic. ;)

thanks!

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
I've had that setup on the last 4 G-bodies I've owned. The stock wiring seems to be fine. I had the 80/100w H4 bulbs. The only thing is some of the aftermarket bulb "housings" don't fit the stock headlight retaining ring well. The lip on the housing is thinner than stock and the housing fits really lossely. Get a set of cheapie rings from "Help" . You need to bend the tabs for the screws down so they'll hold the housing tighter and redrill them. Don't try thisn with the stock stainless retaining rings. the tabs are welded on and will snap off. Ask me how I know. :x

Tommy

A

Anonymous

YEAH! THATS what I was looking into. I was looking into getting some REAL HID headlights for my '97 grand prix, then I saw these.......I drive the wagon more, and I love putting new age technology parts on old cars.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
seen78wagon said:
YEAH! THATS what I was looking into. I was looking into getting some REAL HID headlights for my '97 grand prix, then I saw these.......I drive the wagon more, and I love putting new age technology parts on old cars.

I've done a lot of research about the HID conversions. Here's some stuff I found out:

1) Almost none of them use the proper ballasts or ignitors that the claimed ("genuine Osram... genuine Phillips")manufacturer uses. They are generic parts made by that manufacturer for other purposes, not automotive lighting.

2) On a car with a single reflector with a dual filament bulb, you will lose your high beams. There are some units on the market that have an electromagnetic system that moves the bulb inside the reflector to "shift" the light as if you had a high/low beam setup.

3) HID bulbs have no filament. They have an electric arc. This creates a "curved" light source instead of a flat one. The optics on a stock style reflector are not designed to work with this pattern of light and the result is a lot of restrike. Restrike is when light is reflected off the surface of the reflector and hits the light source again. This is lost light energy and ends up creating much more heat instead of putting out light.

4) The reflectors on the conversions are designed for a filament bulb that has the filament running from left-to-right inside the reflector. All current HID bulbs are oriented so the arc runs from front-to-back. You may have brighter lighting, but you're actually putting less light on the road.

There's a lot more to it, but those are the basics as they apply to G-bodies.

Tommy

78_Elky

Pro Stocker
Mar 9, 2005
Oregon
smlblk78.onlineshowoff.com
So are you saying they are a good thing?? I am more confused now, would i lose my high beams if i went with this option, cuz I was looking into doing the same thing as well
-Josh

A

Anonymous

He's saying they are'nt all they great.
Hmmm, the Grand Prix guys that have the retro kits say they love em, and are 10x's better than stock. Now...maybe I'll just get the bulb replacement housings and get good halogen bulbs. :?

A

Anonymous

I just found some PROJECTOR headlights too! Those could use real HIDS.....BUT, I wonder how the light pattern is...hmmmmmmmmmmmm

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
seen78wagon said:
He's saying they are'nt all they great.
Hmmm, the Grand Prix guys that have the retro kits say they love em, and are 10x's better than stock. Now...maybe I'll just get the bulb replacement housings and get good halogen bulbs. :?

Grand Prix's have a 4 headlight system. so they most likely retain their high beams in an HID conversion.

Tommy

A

Anonymous

Not the '97+ they have 1 bulb for high and low.9007 if I remember correctly.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts