El camino tow rating

El camino 25.2

Weekend Racer
Mar 12, 2009
Brampton ont canada
I use to tow my 1979 el camino to the drag strip with my 1981 el camino the hich was rated at 5000 lbs just woundeing what the tow rating is on the el caminos if eney one knows I would appreciate it I am thinking about it agan THe el camino I have now is drag only I am still biulding it

A

Anonymous

If it helps any, I am sure it is the same as a malibu, or any other G-Body. It isn't a truck, suspension wise, it's a car. lol

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Pulling the el camino is not going to be a problem stoping it will with the stock brakes.

A

Anonymous

DOUG213XRJ said:
Pulling the el camino is not going to be a problem stoping it will with the stock brakes.

Unless you have working brakes on the trailer. Then it should be fine.

El camino 25.2

Weekend Racer
Mar 12, 2009
Brampton ont canada
Yes it was hard on the brakes that is till I put new axles with brakes on them! it did make a big diferents with the air bags in the coil springs on the rear ! and yes I ges it would have the same tow rateing as the malib car But thay are about the same as a S 10 a bit biger and hevyer and coil spring. In sted of leaf springs and you can get tham from GM with a V8 in it?

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
formikec said:
DOUG213XRJ said:

Are we taking about pulling a car trailer with a El camino on the trailer with another El camino!

A

Anonymous

DOUG213XRJ said:
formikec said:
DOUG213XRJ said:

Are we taking about pulling a car trailer with a El camino on the trailer with another El camino!

I believe that is what he is talking about, and if the brakes are working as they should on the car trailer, it should stop fine, because the trailer brakes should be what is stopping all of it.

I have no doubt that I could pull a car trailer with an el camino on it with my el camino, except for the fact that the suspension isn't going to handle the tongue weight without some sort of helper springs. In fact, I've pulled a rather large Pontoon boat with no brakes on that trailer without issue. Of course, that Pontoon might be lighter than another el camino, but the trailer brakes should be stopping the weight of both the trailer and the car (for the most part) if they are working correctly.

Just as if you are pulling a car with a strap. The person being towed should be stopping both vehicles.

El camino 25.2

Weekend Racer
Mar 12, 2009
Brampton ont canada
Yes I was talking about towing a el camino with a el camino yes when I put new axles with brakes on tham it did work very well was just wondering if eney body eles did it the one gay tow a big ponton boat I uesd to tow my v drive 16 foot with bbc with my el camino but it was a lot lighter than the car trailer

G-Body

Daily Driver
Feb 18, 2008
Downers Grove
The tow rating is variable depending on the options. I have never really been able to find it direct from GM but I have found this http://www.chevyasylum.com/elky/faq.html
What is the towing capacity of a 78-88 El Camino?
(Author: Ernie G. from http://www.malibunirvana.com)
According to the Chevy Recreation and Trailering Guide there are three possible trailering configurations for an El Camino. All require a deadweight hitch bolted to the frame through pre-punched holes. Equalizing and antisway assemblies were also required and were available through outside sources.

Light towing (class 1 hitch):
An El Camino equipped with a 3.8L (LC3/LD5) motor, automatic transmission, and a 2.73 rear can pull up to a gross weight of 2000 pounds with 200 pounds tongue load.

Medium towing (class 2 hitch):
An El Camino equipped with a 5.0L (LG4) motor, automatic transmission, and a 2.41 rear can pull up to a gross weight of 4000 pounds with 500 pounds tongue load.

Heavy towing (class 3 hitch):
An El Camino equipped with a 5.0L (LG4) motor, automatic transmission, and a 2.73 rear can pull up to a gross weight of 5000 pounds with 600 pounds tongue load.

Medium and Heavy towing also require a heavy duty battery and heavy duty radiator.

El camino 25.2

Weekend Racer
Mar 12, 2009
Brampton ont canada
Thanks so much G body it is funny that gm can not tell the tow rating but that is great info that you give me thanks agin like I sad with the air bags it towed great with no whight dis bar When i got the brakes on the trailer it was great to thanks agin G body

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts