New guy 79 factory 4 speed wagon.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Yea I left the flat tappet cam in that we put in to better suit the 4.56 ring and pinion. Did a cam, intake, and carb all at that time. It probably doesn’t even have 2k miles on it. So roll with synthetic oil and don’t worry about any zinc additives at all?

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Got it will do. I already have 2 gallons of high zinc oil but I’m not anywhere close to changing it and starting the car yet so I have time. He converted his 350 to a roller in his regal years ago when he put vortec heads on it and I vaguely remember that process. Shortly after that the 7.5 rearend gave up the ghost.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Assuming I get to the shop in time tomorrow, is there anything specific you want to see with my column? Or just measurements of my original and the brock bowl/shroud? Last time I saw my column the original busted shroud was still in place so all I can really measure is how long it is

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I didn't think there was any such thing as high-zinc oil. Rotella diesel oil used to be higher in zinc, but now I think all oils are about the same when it comes to zinc content.

I think all I would like to know at this time is the overall length of the original shroud and the overall length of the new Brock shroud.

If the Brock shroud is 5.8 inches long, you will have about 1 inch hiding behind the dash. The original shroud may be longer because perhaps the Buick, Oldsmobile, or Pontiac varieties require a longer shroud.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Turns out we have a key for the neighbors shop and he has one for my brothers so I was able to snap some pictures. The Brock piece is almost exactly 2 inches short. Maybe I should just grab my column and throw it back in and wire up a push button lol. At this rate it won’t be running this year
IMG_8943.jpeg
IMG_8944.jpeg

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
The original shroud is 6-11/16" long and the Brock is 5-1/8" long. The amount of shroud exposed is 4-7/8", so the Brock shroud will work without leaving a gap!

I think you have everything you need? apart from the lever that may or may not straighten properly. Did you order the new lever? I wonder why the heck the thieves bent the lever; they already knew where the rack so they could break it and then push/pull on the rod with the square end to start it.

You said you already had a replacement rack. Did you compare the tooth count to the broken rack?

You just need to have the plastic parts (shroud and lock housing) painted, the lever painted, and the tapered part of the tilt mechanism painted, and then reassemble the column. The year is not even half over yet.

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
He’s supposed to have the rack already and last week or whenever it was that I talked to him I asked him if it had the same number of teeth as mine and he said “I have a number of them laying around”. He’s probably full of it lol. I got an email yesterday saying the paint is scheduled to be delivered today. Do you know what kind of material the original shroud is made out of? Last night was the first time I personally saw the brock part and it just feels like cheap plastic. Almost like the lid of an aerosol can. The original one seemed noticeably thicker if it’s just plastic? I have not ordered the key release lever yet. So you think the Brock shroud will work then? My stomach kind of shrank when I saw it in person because of how short it was and I figured it wouldn’t even be close. That’s great news! Once it’s all apart would there be anyway at all to have the original one repaired or am I pretty much out of luck? I’m for sure going to hang on to that thing

Mighty

Amateur Racer
Apr 14, 2023
Something else my brother pointed out, the couple marks on the top edge of the delete plate I never even noticed before. He thought maybe whoever broke into it thought there was a radio behind it and tried to pry it open with a screwdriver or something.
IMG_8947.png

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts