1981 malibu gas gauge

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
IIRC, the pink wire should have 9 VDC with the ignition on. The black wire is chassis ground. With the power on, if you disconnect the pink wire at the tank, the gauge should read full. If you ground it the gage should read empty. If it doesn't, the wiring, the guge panel orinted circuit or the gauge is bad. If if the guage & wiring check out, check the sender. If the sender is the correct GM 0-90 ohm unit, you should read 84-88 ohms tank full, somewhere around 40 ohms 1/2 full & 0-2 ohms tank empty at the sender pink wire connector with the pink wire off the connector. I'm betting your pink wire or where it connects to the printed circuit is bad.

Tommy

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
IIRC, the pink wire should have 9 VDC with the ignition on. The black wire is chassis ground. With the power on, if you disconnect the pink wire at the tank, the gauge should read full. If you ground it the gauge should read empty. If it doesn't, the wiring, the gauge panel printed circuit sheet or the gauge is bad. If if the guage & wiring check out, check the sender. If the sender is the correct GM 0-90 ohm unit, you should read 84-88 ohms tank full, somewhere around 40 ohms 1/2 full & 0-2 ohms tank empty at the sender pink wire connector with the pink wire off the connector. I'm betting your pink wire or where it connects to the printed circuit sheet is bad.

Tommy

frost1085

Amateur Racer
Feb 2, 2012
Fort Wayne, IN
for some reason now it doesnt do anything besides go to those to spots pictured if i remove the ground still nothin if i remove the pink wire still nothing just goes back to the same spots if i move the needle. they dont sell the guage new or the printed circuit new do they. im hoping its the guage

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
frost1085 said:
for some reason now it doesnt do anything besides go to those to spots pictured if i remove the ground still nothin if i remove the pink wire still nothing just goes back to the same spots if i move the needle. they dont sell the guage new or the printed circuit new do they. im hoping its the guage

Don't remove the ground, take the pink wire off the sender & it should read full. Then take the pink wire & touch it to ground. It should read empty. If it does that, your sender is bad or it's the wrong one. if the guage does weird things, it's the pink wire, printed circuit or the gauge.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts