4-7 swap cam

Excelerater

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 22, 2003
Memphis,TN
I would say its worth it since
every high end pro engine builder pretty much
uses them on every motor these days.........

I wouldent buy one for a 500 HP streeter
but I would for something I regard as serious

A

Anonymous

The 2 that I usually go to at Comp Cams told me to save the money. In a well-thrashed 500" Pro Stock engine they may be worth 5 HP. They may smooth the idle a bit but certainly nothing measurable for most of us. I had other places to spend the money when I got the cam.

ILLEGAL REGAL

MalibuRacing Junkie
Jan 1, 2005
Tinley Park,IL
I was talking to a pretty known engine builder today about this.. he said he got into detail with the "c" order cams with a couple different companies and they told him they shouldn't be used in high rpm race engines, but would make better midrange power than the other firing order cams.

I nor he could understand why that is..

A

Anonymous

If you draw a top view of a engine and go threw the firing order both ways its easier to under stand. The 4/7 swap moves the two cylinders firing one after the other to the front of the engine. What this dose is help keep the air/fuel charge off the back runners and more in the center of the intake on a car that is going down the track. You can't see that on a dyno. That is why I said the intake and headers play a big part in getting the extra power. Also if you look at it you will see that after #4 and #2 fire #1 is next inline. Pushing on the same end of the crank there is no deflection to eat up some power. And like Bigtime said the cylinders are closer to the cooler water coming in and that can't be a bad thing either. There is a mad science to it and by no means do I know most it. Just try to sneak a peek at a NHRA Pro Stock intake at a race and see how far you get. Thats about the only thing you will never see in the pits! Even their spare is under lock and key in the trailer! :shock:

Hotrod1451

Daily Driver
Jul 2, 2010
essington,pa
If your building it from scratch then go for it.
I know 3 people who all switched from what they had during a freshen up to the 4-7 swap and nothing changed.
The cars ran the same.

LS6 Tommy

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 15, 2004
North Jersey
Back when there was only the BBC & SBC, GM tested extensively & found INCREASED harmonics on both, with little to no gains. Now that they've started over from scratch, the LSx engines do use the swapped firing order.

Tommy

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!