CAM swap LM7 5.3L/TH400 ??s into 86 CUTLASS COUPE

45CHI

Daily Driver
Jul 17, 2012
1)I want to change cam (,springs and retainers,etc) to a very noticable cam(NOT ZO6) but, I dont know how much lift is too much. I been looking at texas speed, comp, and lunati cams: 224,226,228,234... They all cost same price so I want the most for my BUCKS$$. ALSO WANT TO KEEP STOCK HEADS FOR NOW. 2)WHAT HAPPENS WHEN CAM HAS TOO MUCH LIFT? 3)I WANT TO INSTALL TH400 behind 2001 CHEVY 5.3L,,,WHAT DO I NEED TO MATE(BOLT UP) THE TWO? dancin_banana.gif dancin_banana.gif

Roller406Bu

Frequent Racer
Sep 10, 2003
Elizabethtown Ky
what size convertor are your going to run? what gear? etc.... alot of variables when deciding a camshaft....I used a LS specific convertor from yank when bolting up my th400..Or you can use a old small block style convertor and spacer to make it work..your choice...

45CHI

Daily Driver
Jul 17, 2012
I decided to go with tsp228 cam, I like the sound of it. Everything else is stock on my 1986 olds cutlass, rearend gears are 3:42 I guess.

LT1_Malibu

Amateur Racer
Jan 19, 2006
Greenup, Kentucky
I used a spacer for my th-350 and SBC converter, just have to buy the bolt kit that works with he spacer. It works just fine.
Also, the way LSx blocks are made, you'll be missing one bellhousing bolt, and I'm pretty sure everyone else just runs 5 bolts and it doesn't cause any problems so dont worry when you run across this.

45CHI

Daily Driver
Jul 17, 2012
LT1_Malibu said:
I used a spacer for my th-350 and SBC converter, just have to buy the bolt kit that works with he spacer. It works just fine.
Also, the way LSx blocks are made, you'll be missing one bellhousing bolt, and I'm pretty sure everyone else just runs 5 bolts and it doesn't cause any problems so dont worry when you run across this.
Do u have parts brand and numbers? dancin_banana.gif dancin_banana.gif

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts