78 malibu control arms

sammy

Frequent Racer
Jul 8, 2003
Columbia, MO
If I wanted to move to the later model option to use S10 spindles and brakes, would I be able to do so by swapping control arms? Is that what it would take or is there more/less to it? End goal is to be able to lower an inch or two using spindles and use the two piston calipers from the s series blazer/jimmy. TIA for any info.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
If I wanted to move to the later model option to use S10 spindles and brakes, would I be able to do so by swapping control arms? Is that what it would take or is there more/less to it? End goal is to be able to lower an inch or two using spindles and use the two piston calipers from the s series blazer/jimmy. TIA for any info.
Sammy,
You wouldn't need to swap the control arms unless you're considering using S-10 drop spindles for your Blazer dual piston setup. A cheaper alternative may be to use the S-10 5660 or 5658 springs and maybe trim a small amount off of them in order to lower it. a given amount. I forgot what the the basic formula is. It's something like a 1/4 to 1/2 coil per inch....something like that. I'll have to search back for that info.

Reactions: CosmoZL1

sammy

Frequent Racer
Jul 8, 2003
Columbia, MO
Sammy,
You wouldn't need to swap the control arms unless you're considering using S-10 drop spindles for your Blazer dual piston setup. A cheaper alternative may be to use the S-10 5660 or 5658 springs and maybe trim a small amount off of them in order to lower it. a given amount. I forgot what the the basic formula is. It's something like a 1/4 to 1/2 coil per inch....something like that. I'll have to search back for that info.
Jack, don't I have to use the S10 spindles if I want to use the S10/S15 blazer dual piston calipers? The drop spindles are my preferred method to lower over cutting or heating springs.

Longroof79

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 10, 2004
Gainesville, Fla.
Jack, don't I have to use the S10 spindles if I want to use the S10/S15 blazer dual piston calipers? The drop spindles are my preferred method to lower over cutting or heating springs.
Sammy,
I agree with you regarding the use of drop spindles over cutting springs. Heating springs is an old school hot rodders trick....and, not a good one either.
You will need to use the S-10 Blazer spindles. Remember, they must be from a 2WD model. There is a difference.
Also, S-10 Blazer spindles are different than an S-10 pickup spindle.

Reactions: sammy and melloelky

Warloch

Apr 30, 2021
I just did a similar conversion on my 78 El Camino. I bought spindles from a 2004 S10 2wd Blazer from a local pick n pull. Originally I bought the spindle, hub, rotor, caliper bracket and brakes. The Blazer I found had recently replaced the rotors and pads so I got all of it. My plan was to use the larger brakes on my El Camino because spindles swap right over.

Then I kind of went nuts on it and bought new C6 Corvette 12.8" rotors with ceramic brake pads, new C6 calipers and adapters from Kore3 to bolt the calipers to the Blazer spindle. This requires a small amount of grinding to fit properly and at least 17" wheels to clear the rotors. I think if I had it to do it again, I don't think I'd do the Corvette conversion. Don't get me wrong, the Corvette brakes are fantastic for track days but for a daily driver totally not necessary. But the Corvette conversion was FAR less cost than aftermarket brakes and can be locked at will.

John

Last edited:

sammy

Frequent Racer
Jul 8, 2003
Columbia, MO
I just did a similar conversion. I bought spindles from S10 2wd Blazer from a local pick n pull. Originally I bought the spindle, hub, rotor, caliper bracket and brakes. The Blazer I found had recently replaced the rotors and pads so I got all of it. My plan was to use the larger brakes on my El Camino because spindles swap right over.

Then I kind of went nuts on it and bought new C6 Corvette 12.8" rotors with ceramic brake pads, new C6 calipers and adapters from Kore to bolt the calipers to the Blazer spindle. This requires a small amount of grinding to fit properly and at least 17" wheels to clear the rotors. I think if I had it to do it again, I don't think I'd do the Corvette conversion. Don't get me wrong, the Corvette brakes are fantastic for track days but for a daily driver totally not necessary. But the Corvette conversion was FAR less cost than aftermarket brakes and can be locked at will.

John
John,
What year did you do this on?

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!