79 bu new guages/trn sig

sbc78bu

Amateur Racer
Jun 5, 2003
Spartanburg, sc
any help here is appreciated..
I am tracking wires for the new guages and need to know if anyone knows what wires in the old cluster bus pin or whatever you call it is for the high to low adjustment lights on the guages?
I tracked down left/right turn, high beams... just need the wire for the headllights

Thanks Guys

79loserbluebu

Frequent Racer
Jun 15, 2009
Illinois-60491
For the gauges it should be one of the gray wires, there were two on the original connector and they both power the cluster lights. Pins 18 and 9

sbc78bu

Amateur Racer
Jun 5, 2003
Spartanburg, sc
thanks,

When I get home I will try them.. I think the gray had power but when I rotated the switch it didn't dim the test light.. I will try with the multi meter and see if it works. If not it may be the switch..

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
If you have the cluster out, and are just checking the connector in the dash with a VOM, you will get 12V. All the dash light dimmer does is add series resistance to dim the lights, and the VOM with it's high input impedance will not care about that added resistance, and will keep seeing 12V.

If you want to see the voltage go down with a twist of the headlight switch, you will need to add some kind of load to the connector. Try a lamp such as the 1157 from the brake lights, and see if that light dims with a turn of the headlight switch.

Scot

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
ScotSea said:
If you have the cluster out, and are just checking the connector in the dash with a VOM, you will get 12V. All the dash light dimmer does is add series resistance to dim the lights, and the VOM with it's high input impedance will not care about that added resistance, and will keep seeing 12V.

If you want to see the voltage go down with a twist of the headlight switch, you will need to add some kind of load to the connector. Try a lamp such as the 1157 from the brake lights, and see if that light dims with a turn of the headlight switch.

Scot
x2, or the test light should work as well for seeing a dimming effect.
InstrumentPanelLighting.jpg

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
Doober said:
x2, or the test light should work as well for seeing a dimming effect.
There is a lot of dependancy on the test light. If it is a low current bulb, the dimmer not have a lot of effect on it, or at least it might be harder to tell. That is why I suggested the 1157.

sbc78bu

Amateur Racer
Jun 5, 2003
Spartanburg, sc
the test light is a led type that didnt show the voltage drop.. I removed the gray wire and mocked in a bulb and it worked.. now i just have to find the one for the fuel sending unit,,

ScotSea

Frequent Racer
Sep 21, 2003
I traced out some lines in a dash once. It looks like the fuel level wire is pink.
This is for a round gauge style dash. The colors are usually consistant for function, so a sweep style will probably be pink too.

Wiring for '79 Malibu

CIRCUIT COLOR CONNECTS TO

40 Orange Battery-Fused
8 Gray Panel Lights
237 Yellow Seat Belt Warning
31 Tan Oil Pressure
35 Green Coolant Temp
33 Tan/White Brake Warning
39 Pink/Black Ignition Switch
25 Brown Volt Reg
30 Pink Fuel Gauge
15 Dk. Blue RH Turn
14 Lt. Blue LH Turn
150 Black Ground
11 Lt. Green Hi Beam

Wiring for '81-88 Monte Carlo

CIRCUIT COLOR CONNECTS TO

40 Orange Clock
8 Gray Panel Lights
237 Yellow Seat Belt Warning
31 Tan Oil Pressure
35 Dk. Green Coolant Temp
33 Tan/White Brake Warning
39 Pink/Black Battery Fused
25 Brown Volt Reg
30 Pink Fuel Gauge
15 Dk. Blue RH Turn
14 Lt. Blue LH Turn
150 Black Ground
11 Lt. Green Hi Beam
489 Yellow Check Engine
931 Dk. Green/White Choke
121 White Tach

Actual data from a Dash

Pin - Cir Num Wire Color Signal

01 - Blank None None
02 - 31 Light Brown (Tan) Oil Pressure Gauge
03 - 35 Dark Green Temperature Gauge
04 - 30 Pink Fuel Gauge
05 - 8 Gray Dash Lights
06 - 14 Light Blue (Pass thru) LH Turn
07 - Blank None None
08 - 15 Dark Blue (Pass thru) RH Turn
09 - 150 Black Ground

10 - 489 Yellow (Pass thru) CEL (Ground to illuminate)
11 - Pink, Black stripe Power side of CEL
12 - 11 Light Green Bright (High Beam)
13 - 237 Yellow Fasten Belts
14 - 931 Green, White stripe Choke light
15 - 33 Brn w/White (Pass thru) Brake light
16 - 39 Pink, Black stripe Ignition - switched
17 - 121 White Tach
18 - 40 Orange Battery for clock (only)

sbc78bu

Amateur Racer
Jun 5, 2003
Spartanburg, sc
that is great.. I will print this for future reference.. Should be a sticky here...

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts