'79 Malibu, Directionals

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Seems there's intermediate use of the right side directionals on the '79 Malibu. It's not just a bad bulb as the dash light will also not flash.

Was wondering if anyone had any luck buying a replacement directional assembly as that's problably what it is going to take to solve the problem?

Thanks for any response.

gmtofd

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Have a problem with the directionals. Seems that when the level is locked for either direction, there's nothing, meaning no flashing, no nothing. But if the lever is position, so it's not locked, the left side works okay, but the right side front is sort of dim, but will still flash. The dashboard directional indicatator on left side is also sort of dim.

Have a good ground at the right front socket.

I figure on trying to locate a new directional assy. Even if it's not that and it's something with the wiring, going to need to evenually replace that directional assembly, (that's in the steering column)

Anyone ever have a similar problem? Strange stuff.

Z-man

Dragway Regular
Aug 12, 2006
Barnesville MN/ Fargo ND
O.K. I had a similar prob just last week (look under my bu is possessed in this forum) All I did is was pull the turn signal cam apart and cleaned up the crap on the contacts and it was fixed, but you may want to check the wiring for loose or busted wires especially if it's a tilt. If it is the wires they are the same as most column wiring of the era. My column is out of a 79 trans am and is exactly the same except for the cowl mount plate. hope this helps :D

gmtofd

Dragway Regular
Jul 16, 2004
Central Jersey
Thanks for the response.

Chevy still stocks the directional harness assembly, so replaced the entire unit. Blinkers now work okay, but maybe because the new assembly is sort of stiff, the stalk will not engage in position while making right turns.

In retrospect, I'm sorry that I did not simply clean the old unit out. At least their working.

Suppose that when your daily driving a 26 year old car, you have to accept weird stuff going wrong.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts