79 Mlaibu Crossmember Help

uestraven

Daily Driver
Nov 13, 2011
Long Island
I have a 79 Malibu 2dr. small-block v8 with a th350 trans. The old crossmember rotted and snapped in half so I bought a new one for it. The problem is i don't know how to take out the old one. there are bolts but how do i get to the nuts behind them?

clint

Top Fueler
Oct 10, 2008
brodheadsville,pa
transmission crossmember?there are holes in the frame rachet,ext,socket,boxed end wrench up top between frame and the floor you should be good to go...

uestraven

Daily Driver
Nov 13, 2011
Long Island
No its not like that. Theres no room between the top of the frame and the floor pan for a wrench

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
It sounds like you have some floor rot and body mount problems. There should be plenty of room between the bolts and the floor. Try an open-end wrench on the nuts at the top (15 mm) and a ratchet on the bolt head through the holes in the frame. Don't try and hold the wrench; let it rotate until it hits something and jams into place so you can loosen the bolts.

uestraven

Daily Driver
Nov 13, 2011
Long Island
No theres no body rot. Just very little clearance between frame rails and floor pan. I looked it up and this is normal for the model year but I am just wondering how do i get to the nuts?

468malibu

Frequent Racer
Sep 13, 2003
Binghamton NY
As mentioned above, use a wrench to hold the nut. There is room, it's tight tho. How can the crossmember rust and snap but the body/mounts are clean?? Crossmember is usually covered in grease and grime keeping it from rusting.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
There shouldn't be any less clearance on a 1979 than a 1987. Where did you look up that there is not enough clearance for a 1979?

Are the bolts touching the body? Is there a lot of bolt protruding past the nut? If so, perhaps someone changed the metric hardware for SAE hardware and used bolts that are too long?

In either case, an open-end wrench will work above the crossmember.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts