81 harness questions

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Ive been working on my 81 and found some problems. In the main harness under the hood (the one that goes across the firewall) I found a green wire that was sort of dead ended in the loom. It had been cut and a non OEM crimp connector stuck on it. I think it might be for an underhood light. It seems to get power when the headlight switch is pulled on. Can anyone verify this ?
Also I did away with the AC and put in a heater box. Can I just cut the wires for the AC and leave them in the loom ? The motor is ready to go in and now Im finding a bunch of hacked up wires under the dash too. I know a wrecking yard that has a few gbodies. Can anyone tell me what other years and models use the same dash harness ?

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Hey Mike. The under hood light has a black wire. In my 81 Wire diagram I found two Green wires, One DK green and One LT green for the headlights. There is also more DK green (SXL) wires that go to the horns, A/C Compressure, and temp switch. There is also a green with white stripe (SXL) that goes to the oil pressure switch. Hope this helps .

Doug

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
thanks for the info. Maybe its for the temp switch. Everything worked before I took it apart so it has to work again. The strange thing is it seems to get power from turning on the headlight switch. AND for some reason I have no front parking lights !

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
If that green wire only gets power with the headlight switch then I would think its for the headlights. Have you checked the fuse.

Doug

Mike

Pro Stocker
May 27, 2003
New York
Yes, checked the fuses. The headlights work fine. Its the parking lights. I'll be working on it tomorrow or Wed night. Half of the harness under the dash is unplugged. I took the cluster out yesterday. I took the dash out a few years ago and also put in a new column. All those plugs still need to be plugged back in. (long story)

DOUG213XRJ

MalibuRacing Junkie
Sep 18, 2006
West, MI
Try Chasing down the parking lights with a lighted tester. The corner light wires are black with white and orange. The side marker light wires are light blue and brown. Not sure why there is a corner light and a side marker light. I thought they where the same thing, But I show two different wiring harnesses.

Doug

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts