82 gbody elky Tach. need filter?

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
Sorry to beat a dead horse but it doesnt seem like there is a straight answer on what cars need a tach filter for an aftermarket tachometer. My el camino did not come with a tach and I got a little sunpro piece. Am I going to need the tach filter? What exactly does the tach filter do anyway?

thanks guys

Doober

Jun 2, 2003
Catalina, AZ
www.cardomain.com
It filters out electrical noise. You won't need it with an aftermarket tach, and seems like everybody I've read from says you don't need it for the stock one either. My stock one has never been accurate, so I might try a filter come time to drive the 'Bu again.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
ah of course. i gotcha. thanks alot! I guess I'm going to go try to install it right now then and see how it works then.
i'll report back later

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
okay I'm back. I installed the tach, wired it up. turn the car on and nothing happens. I check my wires and everything seems correct so I try again. The tach needle doesnt move. So I did the whole "hey maybe if i smack it itll work" thing. Sure enough I flick it and the needle jumps up to idle 700ish rpm. I rev it up and it was acting a LITTLE bit weird, so I tap it again and it seems to work fine up until 2500 rpm where the needle stops. I couldnt get it to go past 2500 rpm so I turn the car off. The needle stays at 700 rpm until I tap it again when it drops down. Does this mean this tach is a piece of crap or that I need a tach filter? If I have to return this thing I'm going to be kinda pissed.

Chillin014

Frequent Racer
Mar 9, 2008
HOUSTON TX
yeah i beat the crap out of it while i was revving and the needle started going higher and higher but then it wouldnt go past 3k rpm without being beaten on. 8-[
so I'm going to return it and possibly get another one or a summit racing one.
My headunit wouldnt turn on for some reason until I went and unplugged it/replugged it in so I'm getting tired of messing with this electrical CRAP.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts