Afco Front Shocks

A

Anonymous

I need a pair of double adjustable front shocks. I'm looking at the Afco 3840/bnc. Does anyone have any input on these shocks?

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
I have that exact shock on my car. Be warned they are not a bolt-on and require some serious modifications to fit.

They are an excellent shock and I do not regret installing them. Much better than QA1, etc.

A

Anonymous

What type of mods do I have to do? I have TRZ upper and lower A arms.. Afco said that they are for that car. What are they trying to get me into?

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
The Afco's are longer than stock by about 1". If you look at the specs of stock shock lengths, the Afco is really a Chevelle/Camaro/Nova shock which is longer than the g-body.

I run stock A-arms and found the shock would bottom out before the lower A-arm bump stop hit the frame. I had to fabricate a new upper mount raised about 5/8" or so to keep from having the shock bottom out first. I also had to enlarge the hole in the lower a-arm to allow the larger diameter body to clear.

I don't regret the install as they are a great shock. MUCh firmer than the Qa1 doubles I ran prior. Very important for a car that wheel stands. Firm compression helps soften the landing, plus the rebound allows for a great deal of adjustment in the rate of rise on launch.

rich

Dragway Regular
May 22, 2003
kenniwick wa.
GIVE JEFF HALLOWAY A RING hes a great guy and builds racecars for a living he can set you up easy to deal with got me my rear strange pro brakes cheaper than any mail order and he called to make sure i got them etc 1-918-697-8212

A

Anonymous

10secBu said:
The Afco's are longer than stock by about 1". If you look at the specs of stock shock lengths, the Afco is really a Chevelle/Camaro/Nova shock which is longer than the g-body.

I run stock A-arms and found the shock would bottom out before the lower A-arm bump stop hit the frame. I had to fabricate a new upper mount raised about 5/8" or so to keep from having the shock bottom out first. I also had to enlarge the hole in the lower a-arm to allow the larger diameter body to clear.

I don't regret the install as they are a great shock. MUCh firmer than the Qa1 doubles I ran prior. Very important for a car that wheel stands. Firm compression helps soften the landing, plus the rebound allows for a great deal of adjustment in the rate of rise on launch.

I'm very interested..Could I see some pics..Now you said you raised the mounts 5/8 of a inch. Is that measured to the bottom of the new mount?

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
nitroxtreme said:
10secBu said:

I'm very interested..Could I see some pics..Now you said you raised the mounts 5/8 of a inch. Is that measured to the bottom of the new mount?

Bottom of original mount to bottom of new mount.

newshocks10.jpg

newshocks11.jpg

newshocks12.jpg

newshocks13.jpg

newshocks18.jpg

A

Anonymous

Looks great...Thanks.. Just what I was looking for.. Guess its time to get the welder out..What size metal did you use? Do you have any words of wisdom before I start? Thanks again

10secBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
May 21, 2003
Westminster, MD
I'm not sure how the TRZ a-arms figure into this as you don't even have a bump stop to speak of. Considering that fact, you may not need to go through what I did. The only reason I haven't gone to the TRZ arms is the lacking of bump stops. With my car wheel standing the way it did, I didn't want to bottom out the shock and risk damaging it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts