alternator on 5.3L???

45CHI

Daily Driver
Jul 17, 2012
1)Can the ALTERNATOR that came on the 5.3L engine be used on my 1986 cutlass? Some people say I have to change it. 2)Will it not work with the 86 cutlass wiring? ......The hood hits the intake so Im adding a scoop. Not worried about the hood clearance issues. ](*,) #-o

Blue Knight

Frequent Racer
Mar 23, 2012
What motor does your cutlass have in it now?

bigmandengo

Weekend Racer
Apr 22, 2010
madison, wi
45CHI said:
1)Can the ALTERNATOR that came on the 5.3L engine be used on my 1986 cutlass? Some people say I have to change it. 2)Will it not work with the 86 cutlass wiring? ......The hood hits the intake so Im adding a scoop. Not worried about the hood clearance issues. ](*,) #-o

yes it will work just fine.

45CHI

Daily Driver
Jul 17, 2012
Blue Knight said:
What motor does your cutlass have in it now?
IT HAS A 2001 LM7/5.3L CAME WITH ALL ACCESSORIES, ALTERNATOR, AC COMPRESSOR AND BELTS.

45CHI

Daily Driver
Jul 17, 2012
I WAS ASKING BECAUSE THE ALTERNATOR WIRES FROM THE 5.3L TRUCK HAS 2 WIRES ON THE HARNESS AND THE ORIGINAL 1986 CUTLASS ALTERNATOR HAS 1 WIRE ON ITS HARNESS....HOW DO I MATE THE WIRES USING THE 5.3L TRUCK ALTERNATOR?

45CHI

Daily Driver
Jul 17, 2012
bigmandengo said:
45CHI said:

I WAS ASKING BECAUSE THE ALTERNATOR WIRES FROM THE 5.3L TRUCK HAS 2 WIRES ON THE HARNESS AND THE ORIGINAL 1986 CUTLASS ALTERNATOR HAS 1 WIRE ON ITS HARNESS....HOW DO I MATE THE WIRES USING THE 5.3L TRUCK ALTERNATOR?

bigmandengo

Weekend Racer
Apr 22, 2010
madison, wi
45CHI said:
bigmandengo said:
45CHI said:

Have you been on LS1tech yet? There is tons of info. Every question you will have has been answered many times.

Last edited by a moderator:

45CHI

Daily Driver
Jul 17, 2012
ok LS1 TECH guys say, being that Im using truck harness and PCM/computer. The computer takes care of the alternator, as far as resistance and current needs I suppose.... DO I STILL NEED TO TIE IN THE ORIGINAL 1986 CUTLASS ATERNATOR WIRE for any needs of the current electricals? thats my question

455_82malibu

Pro Stocker
May 19, 2006
WISCONSIN
no..keep the motor stuff separate from the factory cutlas stuff.... tie your factory main hot wire into the back of the alt (output) to supply the power to the car ...
...but if you use the stock 5.3 computer your alt is only going to put out a steady 13.8 volts...

rollcagerage

Amateur Racer
Dec 13, 2009
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Exactally what he said^^, pin # 15 on the red connector for the ECU will have a brown wire that usually is the only wire that inputs the truck alt. sometimes there are two small alt. wires from the 5.3l harness, a brown and a pink, if there's a small pink wire that shares the same clip as the brown wire, it needs 12 volts to make the alt work. you can also use this for the "batt" or "alt" light in your dash, this would be the small original wire that went to your old alt. the big power post on the truck alt. needs to run to the batt., its your power wire to charge the batt. that usually goes to the big post on the starter, you should also have a bigger pink wire (factory main hot wire) that comes out of your firewall that is used to power up the cars dash and all the accessory's, this bigger pink or red wire also went to your original alt. or starter, it needs to go to the output of the 5.3l truck alt. or the big post on the 5.3l starter.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts