anybody ever rebuild a t56??

SEVNT 9

Dragway Regular
ughhh so my car was on jack stands all last summer as I performed the t56 swap got to drive a total of about 35 miles before snow hit and back into the garage for hibernation. had one nice day this past week went all the way up to almost 60 degrees and took the car out, now I know im suppose to put 500 "easy" miles on the clutch set up, but temptation has been too much (blessing in disguise???) i have hammered on the car a couple of times (maybe 6) with flawless results and the car running like a rapped ape!!! squirly and all!!! all the way up to 3rd and once to 4th every time it has had me grinning from ear to ear!! it felt really good!!! I did notice though when shifting into second there was a noticble click that has been happening since the swap, even when just cruising. at first i thought the shifter was contacting the center console, so I removed the console but it was still present. didnt think too much about it any who ....back to the nice 60 degree weather'd day a friend of a friend asked to go for a ride (girl of course 8) ) so i took her for a ride around the block then back into my alley where I nailed it, then shifted into second (a mere 200 ft from my garage) only to hear "grind" "rotational grind" "grind" and more grinding I quickly shifted back into neutral rolled up to my garage put it in reverse and pulled into the garage looking like this :oops: but she was still impressed (she said she was turned on lol) any who :) thinking i just missed 2nd somehow pulled it back into garage and let it sit. next day headed over to a friends house only to find second gear doesnt exist anymore. stil have 1st 3rd 4th 5th and 6th just no more 2nd. im assuming it had something to do with the click noise/feeling i have been noticing maybe a synchro or something let loose but now 2nd is more like neutral no more grinding, shifter goes into 2nd gear but car doesnt move foward or supply power to wheels. gonna put it back on stands and pull the trans out and possibly attempt rebuilding it. just in time for warm weather #-o but like a said maybe better now than in full bloom summer. I'm kinda hesitant to rebuild this thing on my own might just pull it, and have a shop do it, but i found a good rebuild step by step through google http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1877 with pictures. even as a VW tech I still havnt been to a manual transmission instructor led course. did it once in UTI but with a very old GM granny trans out of a truck many things have changed since then lol and its been a long time!! one of my co-workers just rebuilt his t5 last summer and has been in the auto business for quite some years. he is encouraging me to do it myself what do you guys think? im just praying i didnt do any major or structual damage to the case or something i don't see that as im not pushing that much hp but i don't have the best of luck so i really wont know till i tear it apart. [-o<

kevind

Dragway Regular
Jan 7, 2009
Whitley City KY
I've had the one in My 06 GTO fixed by the dealer (under Waranty) for 3 gear. It lasted about 5000 miles then the same thing started grinding going into 3rd gear. I took it out and fixed it I found out the hard way that there is a snap ring in the reverse syncro assembly. I left it out twice messed up two rear shafts,two reverse gears, two reverse syncro assemblies and some bearings. Once again it doesn't shift into 3rd it grinds at anything above 30mph so I guess its time for another rebuild.

t5montecarlo

MalibuRacing Junkie
Oct 21, 2007
Lederach, PA
garage-scene.com
I have rebuilt many T5s, but not a T56 (yet). I am sure it is not difficult.

When you rebuild it, replace the stamped synchro keys with billet keys. You may find out that one of the keys has come out or flattened.

Tremec has a service manual you can download, with step-by-step disassemble/assemble procedures.
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/onlineorder/pdf/LD56-0610-0199_2.pdf

SEVNT 9

Dragway Regular
thanks for the t56 manual t5montecarlo, is the tremec t56 and borg warner t56 the same?? cuz mine is from a 97 f-body or at least its suppose to be and says borg warner on the case. looks like it compared to the info in that manual just not 100% sure.

kevind it stories like that, that make me wanna have a shop rebuild it.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts