Anybody running a manual steering rack on the street?

79buproject

Daily Driver
Oct 30, 2012
Northern Kentucky
Thanks for the advice gman415 and for the photos Grcrygtr44. I think I'm going to go ahead and do mine. Looks clean and I like not having the steering box hanging out there as well as the pump and lines....

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
Gman415 is correct and if u can see in the pic, that is what I did. But then I cut the center out about 1/2" below the bottom of the solid motor mount. The center of the hole is approximately directly below the bottom bolt of the motor mount. If u need any other pics that may help, let me know. Good luck!

gman415

Dragway Regular
May 19, 2009
Chattanooga
Sorry about that Grcrygtr44, I was on my phone and couldn't see what you had done. Mine pretty much looks just like yours.

Grcrygtr44

Frequent Racer
Feb 1, 2013
Ontario Ny
No worries. I stole the idea of wackin the center from a pic I saw on Internet when I searched gbody rack installs. Lol. That chunk was about 20lbs and each frame rail was 15. Replaced them with about 8lbs of chromoly and I can pull the pan now without pullin motor if I had to.

TRZ Motorsports

Frequent Racer
Nov 8, 2005
Orlando, FL
www.trzmotorsports.com
It does decrease steering radius a lot. Not sure how much (or how to put it into numbers), but a lot. Stock type steering keeps turning until it hits a stop on the control arm. A rack and pinion can only turn as far as the worm gear can go inside the rack... and being the G-bodies need narrowed racks to keep bump steer to a minimum, it shortens the radius a bunch. Some people do go with stock style early Camaro spindles combined with our aluminum steering arms which have a set of holes in them closer to the spindles, which does give it more steering radius than using a stock G-body spindle. But to do that, you'd need control arms custom built using Camaro ball joints (and not G-body ball joints), adjustable upper control arms (like our PRO version) to help with the angle difference of a Camaro to G-body spindle, a bump steer kit to attach to the steering arms of ours, and early Camaro brakes.

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts