BACKYARD EFI

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
So like everyone else I want something for nothing. I'm trying to figure out a way to put efi on my engine cheaply-very cheap-Which pretty much means I have to use used factory parts that I can find. So my thought is a tpi setup-relatively inexpensive, but can make some decent power-I only have 300hp or so, but then would need a chip burnt, find decent runners taht aren't dented, clean eveything, etc. How about a Holley Stealth Ram: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=WND%2D7540&N=700+115&autoview=sku

With a tpi or LT1 throttle body, used injectors and then I can use a stock tpi computer and even harness or maybe finally go into a Megasquirt system, but at least I have all the hardware.

I've even looked into marine EFI intakes and the only one I can find for a sbc is the Mercruiser Scorpion and they seem to go for big money. Any one else have any good idea's for cheap hard parts at least? Thanks

jrdrag

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
I just got my car running and really like the Stealth Ram. Fit really well. TPI would also be okay but DO NOT CONVERT an LT1 Intake. I wasted way too much of my time and money on that intake deal. They say you can do it but it doesn't work well at all. I am also running MegaSquirt which I would also highly recommend. It is great so far. I will try to keep ya updated as I am able to tune and drive more in 2 weeks.

DeltaT

Dragway Regular
Oct 28, 2003
Nor Cal
Look at the Professional Products efi manifold. They are cheap at ~$200. The Holley stealth ram is a nice piece but more $$$. BTW, the latest Holley 950 Commander Pro is a very nice and cost effective efi setup. IIRC you can get the brain, wiring harness and all sensors for under $1000.

Jim

jrdrag

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
I heard of the professional products manifolds but I can't remember why I couldn't use/find them. I know something stopped me from moving forward with them.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I've found them several places, here's one:

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=17298

Now I'm trying to find the cheapest way to get the rest of the needed stuff, ecm, throttle body, etc, Like everyone else, I want something nice for nothing :lol:

jrdrag

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
I hadn't looked in a while and I am glad you found it. I would however like to try to convince you you BUY AMERICAN! By the time you buy everything you need to use the PP intake, you can have a holley or a wieand for a little more money. As far as I know, those are still made in the USA. If they are not I apologize. I just can't stand all the chinese parts we end up buying anymore. I am making a conscious effort to stop buying the imports and keep jobs here. Hopefully more people will start to do the same.

Also, if you look at the single plane Holley EFI mainfold, you can also run a carb on the top to act as a throttle body and save some money there. I can explain that further if you like.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
I would like to keep all the jobs here in the US, That's a good point and something my dad taught me at a young age, and not to get political, because there's alot more to it than just this, but I also have a hard time feeling bad for the union workers when they are laid off/go on strike cause now they have pay for part of their insurance and pull in over 100K/year. Too damn bad. I make a third of that and have no insurance at all. None offered thru my workplace and for me to buy it would be half of my paycheck. And we wonder why all the jobs are going to China.....

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
PP 52038 intake $199.95
fuel rail kit w/regulator $129

Total $328 plus shipping- That's a huge savings in my book, If it was only a little more, I'd definitely go for the Weiand. I'm still looking for a used one, but my chances of finding one used are slim and none.

jrdrag

Amateur Racer
Feb 8, 2007
Rochester, NY
It comes to right around 500 with everything for the Weiand. Remember, you need a throttle body for both intakes as well.

I agree 100% about the union jobs. I work at Harley-Davidson and the way the people whine and complain drives me nuts. You have guys doing a poor job and getting paid 60k per year plus benefits. It is nearly impossible to get fired. I hate it. I can't even move a tool to the other side of the building without getting written up.

StreetBu

MalibuRacing Junkie
Mar 21, 2004
Upstate NY
So right now my carb is out being redone, but in the back of my head I still want/need efi. After reading so much my eye's want to pop out, I still dont nderstand the pro's/con's to the tpi systems of different vintages. It's seems like they guys that are into them are converting theirs to the later speed density style which makes no sense to me. They arent as accurate as having a MAF sensor. Also it seems that the manifolds with the cold start injector are more popular. Does anyone know why and be able to explain it to me/beat it thru my thick skull? Thanks!

MalibuRacing.com Gear

Stickers & Shirts!!

Latest posts